Nitrogen cycle in betta tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesse.R

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm probably gonna start up a 10 gallon betta tank sometime soon but I don't know if a tank that size has to cycle before you add the betta. I remember with the small tank I had years ago I just put it in when I bought the tank.

I cycled a 3g tank, so I'm sure a 10g is cycleable. I also think I just made up a new word :)

it's up to you. If you are only adding the betta then it's not necessary, but if you plan to use a filter on it then I'd suggest cycling it first. Or you could do a fish-in cycle with him. With a single betta having such a low bio-load it's not necessary to cycle, so you could just cycle as you go with him in there and it shouldn't really bother him in anyway, but as always fish-less cycling is the preferred and recommended method.

Ok so if I fill my tank and add the betta in the same day, will the nitrogen cycle kill it? I would also put rocks from my 2 year tank in the new one

If your talking about cycleable.....

cycleable:

fit or designed for bicycle riding: a cyclable road.

So you can bicycle ride in your betta tank then.....:cool:

It would end up being like any fish in cycle. Frequent testing and frequent water changes to keep the parameters at nontoxic levels. I went with a filtered and cycled tank for my betta because maintenance on a non-filtered, non-cycled tank sounded like way too much trouble! :)

Back
Top Bottom