Nitrogen cycle progress?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bwanny

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys ive been having some ammonia issues and was looking for a couple pointers real fast. I think im finally making progress with my daily 50% water changes. My ammonia is reading at .50ppm. My nitrites are at roughly .50ppm and my nitrates are finally starting to turn orangish on my API test kit and are reading roughly 5.0ppm. Before i didnt read any nitrates or nitrites and i think this means im finally getting somewhere.
1. Should i take my UV sterilizer out to help progress the bacteria? Im keeping my light off most of the day to keep the algae low.
2. Should i continue with the 50% daily water changes? Seems like a silly question but i didnt know if i should continue them every day instead of every other day to let the process continue more.

My main question is about the UV sterilizer. Could that be killing my bacteria that are beneficial to the Nitrogen cycle?

Hey guys ive been having some ammonia issues and was looking for a couple pointers real fast. I think im finally making progress with my daily 50% water changes. My ammonia is reading at .50ppm. My nitrites are at roughly .50ppm and my nitrates are finally starting to turn orangish on my API test kit and are reading roughly 5.0ppm. Before i didnt read any nitrates or nitrites and i think this means im finally getting somewhere.

1. Should i take my UV sterilizer out to help progress the bacteria? Im keeping my light off most of the day to keep the algae low.

2. Should i continue with the 50% daily water changes? Seems like a silly question but i didnt know if i should continue them every day instead of every other day to let the process continue more.

My main question is about the UV sterilizer. Could that be killing my bacteria that are beneficial to the Nitrogen cycle?

No the UV is effective for controlling algae spores and parasites. Bacteria will be fine. If there's no fish then no real need to change water. If there's fish yes change the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom