Nitrogen Cycling Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sijansaur

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I've had my tank setup for about 3 weeks, and have a good deal of Ludwigia plant stock (going low tech, simple fresh) as well as some Anubias, an Amazon sword, two Java ferns, Anacharis, and a few other random plants from an assorted batch. Now, I've been keeping up with checking my water levels every 1-2 days and yesterday I noticed my Ammonia went from 4ppm down to 0.5ppm. I put in about 3-4 pinches of fish flakes and left it for 24 hours. Ammonia levels remain at about 0.25-0.5ppm and my nitrites are at about 5ppm. My Nitrates went from about 10ppm up to 80ppm in two days. I'm not sure where in my cycle I am as my nitrites haven't dipped in almost a week but my nitrates have just appeared. What should I do to continue forward and where do you think I'd be at in regards to stocking with fish? Pics attached of current setup.

Attachments

• 20170527_224147.jpg
    20170527_224147.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20170527_224137.jpg
    20170527_224137.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 20170527_224122.jpg
    20170527_224122.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 50
Do a water change to lower nitrates to 40ppm.

After 24 hours I'd retest the tank.

Other than that ? Others are better at chemistry. I plant heavy, cycle fast and get fish in fairly quickly.

I plan on doing a 50% water change tomorrow or Monday. Would that be too much or is that about accurate?

I plan on doing a 50% water change tomorrow or Monday. Would that be too much or is that about accurate?

Your close to the end of the cycle. I'd give it another week and things should start to stabilise. Once those nitrites hit 0 and u have only nitrate then u should be good to go [emoji106]

Your close to the end of the cycle. I'd give it another week and things should start to stabilise. Once those nitrites hit 0 and u have only nitrate then u should be good to go [emoji106]

So should I wait the week for the water change?

So should I wait the week for the water change?

U can if u want or u can do 2 25% changes over the week. Keep adding in some fish food though for abit of ammonia and u should be good

I'm stoked that i'll be able to add fish in the next week or so. I'm thrilled my tank only took two weeks to almost completely cycle instead of 4-8.

I'm stoked that i'll be able to add fish in the next week or so. I'm thrilled my tank only took two weeks to almost completely cycle instead of 4-8.

It may be longer but your certainly getting close if nitrites and nitrates are showing up. Remember to wait till nitrite and ammonia are 0 and only nitrates are present before adding your fishy friends :) [emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom