No fish cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fizzler

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’m in week 3 of a no fish cycle. I have 4 different kinds of Java fern in my tank for a little over one week now. The water level in my 29 gallon tank has dropped about a inch and a half. Should I add water or just let it continue to cycle ? And if I add water can I leave tap water out for 24 hours and it will be safe and not kill off any of my good bacteria I’ve built up ?

Yes you can add water, have you been doing water changes?
Always treat the water with a dechlorinator before adding it to your tank. Leaving it out for 24 hours dosen't do much if anything.

Hi Fizzler,
Are you adding an ammonia source to the tank ? The bacteria need ammonia to eat.

Leaving water out for 24 hours does not work anymore. Not like it did years ago . Let’s just say the chemicals that are put into water these days are different from the past.

I’ve been adding fish food flakes. I’m not sure how often I should be doing this. My tank test low for ammonia but very high for nitrites and about 40ppm nitrate. What should I do to top off my tank then? Not water straight from the tap ?

You use tap water with a dechlorinator. I use seachem prime (because I have a bigger tank). It's a water conditioner, it removes the bad stuff from your tap water.

The chlorine in tap water not only kills fish it kills all bacteria.
All water going into a tank need a conditioner/ de chlorinator. Conditioners work instantly. After two minutes the temperature matched water is ready to add to your tank.

Back
Top Bottom