noisy tank and sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pelochas

Aquarium Advice Activist
yesterday, i added more water to my tank to fill'r up to the bream. i also added that small box with the teeth shape strainer where the overflow box, before this i had just the U tubes going straight to the tank.

before and after, i have a lot of the splashy waterfall noise, mainly from the overflow box that i just installed, i beleive the teeth are making most of the noise.

and down below, the waterfall effect from the inflow compartment over the return compartment (where my pump is) make some more noise.

any ideas or tips to silence this? i am a DIY man.

thanks,

yes but i have a external overflow. i cant drill my tank, the glass is uhm 'word has been lost out of my head' you know what i mean

i have the the hang on type of overflow, has two U tubes and two tubes to my sump.

when i adjust the depth of my overflow box inside the tank, i can silence it when the box is almost completely submerge, but then the flow to my sump changes. i dont know the logistics of water flow but when i raise or lower the box, the flow rate changes also. i have fought it and adjusted the ball valves for a few hours before i finally reached a stable flow where the overflow box is feeding as much as the pump can handle and i wont have an flood in the room. i already had 2 and that is enough for the year

I've noticed that they quiet down a good deal after a while, that or you just get used to it. When I first installed my wet/dry, the overflow box drove me CRAZY! It was like a never-ending toilet flush. However, after a while it got much better and I don't even hear it anymore.

kinda like my shop/office here at work. im surrounded by 12 racks 8 foot high loaded with servers, workstations, and all the equipment to have a radio station on the air. its warm and noisy. a constant ~85 degrees F. i cant tell whether its warm or noisy in the shop but everyone who visits notices and compains about enviroment im in.

Hey someone else having the overflow box water noise. Yeah, when I did mine it drove my nuts for a couple of days then I relized it. Take a towel, a smaller one and fold it just right so that you can lay it over the overflow. It doesn't stop it from doing its job and it cuts the noise down to a managable level, Good Luck.

i know i seen this done somewhere. you take out the box and saw the teeth off and then add some small size mesh around it to keep the fish from being suck into the box. i tried searching but failed.

Back
Top Bottom