Noob Aquarist looking for advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sinder

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well,

I've been struck by the Aquarium bug and have recently purchased a used 90 gallon tank with 2 Magnum 330 canister filters.

So far... no leaks... quite pleased, decent purchase price as well...

But the question I have is... does anyone have any manuals for the Magnum 330? Would this type of setup require additional biofilters? Or can I put a substrate into the chemical filter 'holder' and create a biofilter then wrap a filter wool around that for mechanical filtration?

What sort of experiences have you had with this canister filter? I've heard some good, some bad.

I'd really appreciate any advise you'd have for me.

Thanks

I had used Magnum 300 filters in the past. As long as the rubber o-rings are making a seal and you are getting water flow through the unit, they will be fine. I did not find them as easy as the fluvals to do maintenance on. I am sure the manufacturer will have a link somewhere to the older owners manuals. If I remember correctly, there was only one media basket in those canisters in the center, with a sponge type mechanical filter sleeve that went around it? I think I actually have some of the old blue sponge/wool sleeves for my old Magnum. I bet you might still be able to find them retail or online. I would use the outer mechanical sleeve, and then put porous bio-media in the central media chamber.

Know whats funny? I just cleaned out my storage closet, found the old magnum box with the manual, and threw them out about two weeks ago. And Welcome to AA!

aquarist15 said:
i dont mean to steal this thread, but which is better to use, a power filter, or canister filter?

It depends.....for a smaller tank a hang on the back power filter works great and is super easy to maintain. So for a small tank I'd say power filter wins hands down.

For a larger tank the canister filter may be better because generally they can hold alot more filter material. In general a canister filter will probably also last longer then a power filter and I find my canister filter to be super quiet compared to my power filter. Also the canister filter doesn't need to be cleaned as often as my power filter but when it does it takes longer.

Hope that helps.

i have a 10-gallon and i am going to switch filters. Im getting a penguin 100 power filter because my old power filter is getting water on the drywall. the penguin has a lid and would be best for me

aquarist15,

When you switch filters you can put the media from your old filter into your new one. This way you can "seed" the bacteria in your new filter and you wont have an ammonia or nitrite spike. If possible I'd get a aqua clear mini instead of a penguin 100. My reasoning being that the aqua clear is quieter than the penguin. I have a penguin on my 10g and there's constantly a splashing noise, while my aqua clear on my 20g is noticeably quieter. Also you will save money by not having to buy new catridges every couple of months.

Back
Top Bottom