Noob needs help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trioracles

Aquarium Advice Activist
At first I wanted a fluval chi 6.6 gal but now I bought an aqueon 15 gallon column tank. They pretty much cost the same, but of course the aqueon seems to be a better investment.( I can only get columns because I don't have much room to fit a wide tank in my room.)

I'm planning to put 20 cherry shrimps and 6 celes pearl danios along with live plants.
I want to know how to cycle a 15 gallon tank as fast as possible.
I ordered my fish and shrimp before I learned anything about cycling. But it seems cycling only takes longer when the tank size is bigger.
On YouTube, ppl said that u can buy bacteria starters and squeeze old/dirty filters and put them into a new tank. Since This is my first tank I've ever owned, I don't have that kind of option=[. I'm gonna go to petland discounts and buy some bacteria starter and ask them if they can squeeze some of their old filter water for me to bring home. If they won't allow and I'm only tuck with the bacteria starter, how do I speed up the process? =0 I need it cycled super fast because the creatures I ordered will soon arrive. Ugh -.-

Can someone give me details on how to quickly cycle my tank within 3 days?

Also, how do I clean newly bought plants?

I bought pellia, tiger lotus, hornwart, Java moss, and a 2 more but I forgot their names. I read that u can use bleach,potassium, alum(dunno what that is) , table salt water to clean off snails and all the other pests that might be on my plants. I'm afraid to use bleach on my tiger lotus cuz it looks so fragile, I could see through the leaves. Right now all my plants r in a bucket full of water.

What can use to clean my delicate plants (tiger lotus) with?

HELP Ty!

Anyone got tips? Ty!

I myself did something similar to this! I got a 40G tank, filled it, threw a filter on it and added fish. THEN I found this site and learned about cycling.

If you don't have a Test Kit, get one. I had Petco test my water for the first week and in the middle of ammonia being through the roof they told me I was great. The liquid kind is much better than the strips.

Finally, check out this post for a fish-in cycle. It is possible!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

Also welcome to AA! Many people on here have been an ever-helpful guide in my journey of keeping fish. Thanks to the hints and tips (and occasional "what were you thinking???" lol) I now have a tank that is thriving. Let us know how it all works out!

Ty ! So what I'm getting at is Ithat I really need an old filter to make the cycling fast. But I don't have any friends that own fish, and idk if petland discounts would allow me to have some of their dirty fish filter water. Ughhhhhhh

Getting actual filter media, or sqeezings from the media in a mature tank is the only way to speed the cycle. Just the water wont do it.

That said, some say the bottled bacteria you can buy works as long as you get the right brand. Sadly I have no experience with that so can't advise.

Sadly, there's no quick way to do it without access to filter media. What you can do however is look for a locally owned fish store as opposed to one of the big box stores. One of them should be able to easily help you out with filter squeezings or old media. Bottled bacteria can help but it has mixed reviews on how functional it is.

Without that you can keep fish safely in an uncycled tank although it's not easy. You just have to track the water parameters daily and change the water accordingly.

Take a look at this link for some reading on what to do in your situation.
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Ty! Do shrimps help with getting rid of ammonia? I mean, they eat waste and dead things that produce ammonia right? =0

Live plants help with getting rid of ammonia. Easiest would be to get those floating plants - forget what they are called - or something hardy like java fern.

Guess so! :) Just remember that while plants will absorb some ammonia, it wont be enough to keep your fish completely safe. You'll still need to do water changes as described in that Mebbid posted.

Also I doubt that shrimp can process ammonia! :)

Hmmm k lol btw, can't I just use a bunch of bottled bacteria?

Apparently the bottled bacteria does not necessarily use the right kind of bacteria for aquariums - but if they do, it can work. I would read around a bit on forums to find out what brands worked for people.

People say that the bacteria cannot survive without oxygen and food but apparently that is not true - bacteria goes "dormant" and revive if they have access to oxygen and food again in your tank. The problem really seems to be that not all the companies use the correct kind of bacteria that works for aquariums, as opposed to other kinds of water processing.

At least, that's what my online research has taught me - as I said, I've not tried bottled bacteria myself.

Ughhhhhhhh if this doesn't work, what do I do with my fish? Do I just keep the I n the bag?

Nope, you will just have to keep a close eye on water parameters. If you see the ammonia level go above .25ppm then do a 50% water change.

Ugh okay thanks! Shouldn't have been in such a rush to get fishes lol just so excited xD,

I've tried the bb and thought it sped up the cycle but I'm not totally convinced on it. Not rushing out to buy any shares... The tank may have just been adapting quickly back to normal. The fish store (small, local one) also gave me a small bag of dirty water with stones and told me this would help when setting up the tank at the start. Not sure it made a difference as I built up stock pretty slowly. Last option I can think of to get filter media if the neighbors with tanks or store aren't an option, is to see if anyone is selling nearby - a long shot I guess and pretty forward but you may get someone willing to donate some filter media.

Mature filter media would be ideal. Offer to buy some off them....money talks. If not ask them for some gravel, keep wet and put in a mesh bag or pantyhose and place in the new filter touching the new media. This may not instantly cycle the tank will kick start the cycle. Then with a liquid test kit, keep a daily check on the water and if you get any ammonia spikes, do a large water change 50-70%.....

So the gravel will work? I know the bb is basically everywhere but wasn't sure it would survive?
It will. Get them to bag it like they would the fish. It doesn't matter if its dirty, it doesn't need to be rinsed. Keep it wet and put it in the mesh or pantyhose. It can be left in the filter indefinitely....

Back
Top Bottom