Not another stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been away for a while, feels good to be back :)

A single question, "is this too many fish"? (Not asking about compatibility, please)

Medium planted with CO2, 36G bowfront, water circulation pump, 50% water changes weekly habitually

AqAdvisor - My 36G Fish Tank

Last edited:
Yeah that's definitely too many fish.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would say that's on the high side!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've seen some people pull off that many fish but it's a very delicate balance to do... It's also not one I'd be willing to do with livebearers. Especially not without extra filtration. All it takes is a batch of fry or two and that delicate balance is thrown out of whack.

I would agree with the other responses. From what I've seen, AqAdvisor is conservative, but I've read that the max you should look at for stocking level would be 120%. Hope that helps?

Not just a question of filtration. There is swim space, oxygen exchange and biological bacteria balance as well to think of.
I would cut down your stock list but that is just me and I tend to run my tank light.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What if I got another filter, an underwater filter like the Fluval U2 (shown here http://tinyurl.com/mhvtklu)

That makes AqAdvisor happy, at filtration of 98%: AqAdvisor - My 36G Fish Tank

Still not enough. I aim for at least 200-300% filtration when I'm running higher stocking levels, and even then, I still never go THAT far over. Statement about livebearers still applies as well. They're baby factories and require extra bioload space to accommodate the babies.

Yeah I would ditch the algea eater and angle fish and only have 1 type of cory. You would be better off with a 46 bow front or a 55 or 75 gallon with all those fish, and 12 rasbora thats like more than half the tank right there.

Right on AQ adviser its warning you to have more Danio's and corys thats why I would consolidate and only have 1 cory species.

Much more workable. I would still swap the pleco for 3 otos, personally. They have lower bioloads, so you'll be a little less cramped when the livebearers spawn. If you leave the list as is it's doable though, but you'll need to be very good at staying on top of water changes and managing your livebearer fry population.

Back
Top Bottom