Note on the euthanasia sticky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm in an animal science class and learned putting live fish on ice is a well known method of anesthesia/sedation. My professor is a DVM and she has sedated fish for as long as 8 hours on ice in open air. She says you toss them back in the water, the graduate for a moment and take off as normal. I asked about tropicals and she said she's done both.

This conflicts with the temperature shock method of euthanasia on the freezing side. Or at least emphasizes the urgency of immediate decapitation once the fish is "frozen" in the ice water.

I just wanted to bring this up.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

with euthanasia you would be putting the fish from 78* to freezing water.... im assuming for sedation you would be doing a gradual cool down?

I don't think ice water is a very humane way to euthanize a fish, because they will still survive for a while despite the temperature change.

with euthanasia you would be putting the fish from 78* to freezing water.... im assuming for sedation you would be doing a gradual cool down?

Sounded to me like they just put them on ice. I'll ask on Monday. I'm on spring break right now.

Update: Sedation with ice water is done gradually and used for cold water and tropical fish.

So the shock would be effective. Or sedation followed by bludgeoning or decapitation.

Back
Top Bottom