Occasional barely detectable nitrite (Cycling done and fish in)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MDDad

Aquarium Advice Activist
Did a fishless cycle. Added fish Sunday the 4th.

Twice daily, I'm doing a nitrate and ammonia test, just to check on things.

Ammonia is always zero. Nitrite was zero both times Monday and Wednesday. This morning (Thursday) and Tuesday morning, I got barely detectable levels, a slightly darker blue than the zero reading on the API kit, but nowhere near lavender enough to be 0.25. So I classify that as "detectable but negligible."

Tuesday evening it had returned to zero. I will check tonight as well.

Are those barely detectable levels harmful, and is it normal to have a very very mildly detectable readings from time to time?

Did a fishless cycle. Added fish Sunday the 4th.

Twice daily, I'm doing a nitrate and ammonia test, just to check on things.

Ammonia is always zero. Nitrite was zero both times Monday and Wednesday. This morning (Thursday) and Tuesday morning, I got barely detectable levels, a slightly darker blue than the zero reading on the API kit, but nowhere near lavender enough to be 0.25. So I classify that as "detectable but negligible."

Tuesday evening it had returned to zero. I will check tonight as well.

Are those barely detectable levels harmful, and is it normal to have a very very mildly detectable readings from time to time?

Nitrite toxicity will result in fish gasping at the surface with possible red/brown gills. If your fish are not doing that then they are fine.

Back
Top Bottom