Odd Question, Cat Related

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gawang

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a very curious cat, for one he loves fish, but I allow him to watch because he does not sit there pawing the glass for hours on end and my fish dont seem to mind. However, he likes to jump on top of things and I have a very flimsy plexiglass set up on top of the tank as a sort of impromptu aquarium hood. Now, I really would not like him to jump on top of this tank and am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to prevent him from getting [moderator edit] on top of my tank and falling inside it, probably ruining everything. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol a cat is going to do whatever he wants. If you took the covering off would he try to eat the fish?

No probably not, however I don't like dealing with evaporation. But that is a good idea, I guarantee he probably wouldn't want to jump into a tank that has a open top that leads straight to water. I think I could scare him out of trying by filling it and picking him up and letting his feet touch the water. That way, he might never even try to jump into it even once.

When trying to teach them not to do their thing in flower pots I spray them with water. They eventually get the idea of what they are doing wrong.

When trying to teach them not to do their thing in flower pots I spray them with water. They eventually get the idea of what they are doing wrong.
The only problem is that I'm afraid that one time he might crash through the ceiling and I'll come home to find a new fish in my tank.....

Hb a fitted hood with strip light? Those are stable and can be weirdly shaped aka uncomfortable for a cat

I once had a lot of tanks & a cat. She loved to go on top and just make a mess. One day I put her in for a second. She never went back on top. It was better then having her fall in.

My cats learned pretty quickly that the fish tanks aren't a good place to lay. One was particular about one of the tanks in my bedroom, I think because of the heat coming off of the light. Well one day I decided to take the top off, kitty went for a swim, and hasn't tried it since.

Let's combine everyone's advice:

Take lid off. Dip kitty toes. Replace lid.

Next day put kitty toes on lid. If he is scared you are successful. If not, squirt kitty a lot.

corinne118s said:
Let's combine everyone's advice:

Take lid off. Dip kitty toes. Replace lid.

Next day put kitty toes on lid. If he is scared you are successful. If not, squirt kitty a lot.

Lol
Just remember if you squirt your kitty too much they can get used to it, like my cat. She will go swimming in the pond sometimes. Though mines a bit to chubby to jump that high anymore. ;) Putting something big and bulky looking on it may help too.

Back
Top Bottom