Official 10 gal bow front nano!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok guys and gals, i scored a plastic ten gal bowfront tank with complete hood for $20. It has a weak under gravel filter that im tossing. Im replacing the incandescent bulbs with 50/50 mini compact florescent bulbs. For a filter im going monster. Lol fluval 305 i have sitting around. My buddy told me to angle the jets up and with the extra gph from the fluval i wont need a power head.

So my equipment list is as follows-

Ten gal plastic bowfront
50/50 mini compact flourescent bulbs
Fluval 305
Heater

Live stock-

15 lbs sand
15 lbs live rock
Assorted gobies
MAYBE a small clown
Assorted shrimp
Zoas
Xenas

Hows it looking so far???

You're trying I can see that! LOL

The 305 might be a bit much though, also the intake will have to be cut so that its not too long. :-( As for the output you could get a spray bar kit so that the flow isnt splashing which it might do in such a small tank.

I would add a powerhead to that equipment list as well. maybe a koralia 425 or so. :)

As far as stocking, I really wouldnt recommend a clown in there, kinda small. But your idea of shrimp and some gobies can work out. They have some really nice micro fish so you could fit a couple in there. Look at neon gobies, clown gobies maybe even a two line blenny. :) Check out Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums and look under the nano fish section for more ideas.

Good luck!

I am with Carey on this one make a spray bar to help with the water flow being more even and also a small power head. In a 10 gallon you could have a pistol shrimp goby combination they are usually pretty neat. I have a pair in my 24 gallon and love them. Also leave out the clown I thought of getting one for my 24 but feel it is to small for one, I have talked myself out of it. It is free still I want to give it the best home possible.

I don't know if you have a test kit and a refractometer but those are very important when you set up a tank.

joy13 said:
I am with Carey on this one make a spray bar to help with the water flow being more even and also a small power head. In a 10 gallon you could have a pistol shrimp goby combination they are usually pretty neat. I have a pair in my 24 gallon and love them. Also leave out the clown I thought of getting one for my 24 but feel it is to small for one, I have talked myself out of it. It is free still I want to give it the best home possible.

I don't know if you have a test kit and a refractometer but those are very important when you set up a tank.

Ive got a test kit and hydrometer.

A refractometer is much more accurate and easy to read. I tried a hydrometer and one bubble on the swim arm was nearly a catastrophe for my tank.

joy13 said:
A refractometer is much more accurate and easy to read. I tried a hydrometer and one bubble on the swim arm was nearly a catastrophe for my tank.

I gotta get a refractometer. Im hoping i can get a used one.

So ive been busy! I took my old bio cube stand and replaced some bad boards, the started hacking up the hood on my bf. Had to cut slots for the filter hoses. Next I'll be painting the back!!! Then I'll be cutting holes ib the top of my stand to run the fluval hoses!

Pics

ForumRunner_20120114_162227.jpg

Heres where the hoses will run.

ForumRunner_20120114_162245.jpg

It is really a personal choice a lot of people love the black sand but I like the white color myself.

Looks like I'm goin with white. I dont want my tank to look too dark. I like the reflectiveness of white sand...

Well guys, and gals. Ive been working on the stand and i think i FINALLY got the stand finished!!! Here are some pics!

Here pics of the canister filter hose holes

ForumRunner_20120116_002124.jpg

The center hole is for power cords.

ForumRunner_20120116_002500.jpg

Pulled the bottom of the stand off. Stupid press board...

ForumRunner_20120116_002645.jpg

ForumRunner_20120116_002700.jpg

Replaced it with 1/2" plywood and painted it black. And mounted on the bottom of the stand! Fits and looks great!

ForumRunner_20120116_002857.jpg

ForumRunner_20120116_002909.jpg

ForumRunner_20120116_002919.jpg

Stand looks good I got a jbj stand with water damage to but unfortunately I didn't got to wood shop so I'm stuck with a crappy stand.

Mguzm12 said:
Stand looks good I got a jbj stand with water damage to but unfortunately I didn't got to wood shop so I'm stuck with a crappy stand.

It really wasnt that hard. 4 screws to pull off the old one, cut the new one, spray paint it. Drill pilot holes and screw it on. Total tine was like an hr. 45 min of that was waiting for the paint to dry... lol

Back
Top Bottom