20 Long Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
reefrunner69 said:
He is doing a fishless cycle

Oh i c interesting i have no experience in that how often do you have to add ammonia for that cause with a fish it is constantly adding ammonia

danbstrong said:
Oh i c interesting i have no experience in that how often do you have to add ammonia for that cause with a fish it is constantly adding ammonia

I started my cycle using snails

danbstrong said:

Right now I have to dose every day because the bacteria are using it up so fast. Cycle should be done very soon.

So I have found some good deals on skimmers. Both are HOB models: Aqua C or CPR? I can pay $40 for the CPR or $50 for the Aqua C. Which is better?

Rhino said:
So I have found some good deals on skimmers. Both are HOB models: Aqua C or CPR? I can pay $40 for the CPR or $50 for the Aqua C. Which is better?

AquaC remora is a pretty good skimmer, I use one on my 20 with a maxi-jet 1200.

Here is the updates for tonight. Hopefully I will be ready for my first fish and coral on Tuesday when I am off.

Temp: 79
Salinity: 1.025
Ph: 7.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 1
Nitrate: 160
Alk: 8
Phos: 0
Calcium: 440

Rhino said:

You don't really need a skimmer as long as
Your on top of your wc weekly I have a biocube 14 with no skimmer just weekly 5g wc's

image-2078762788.jpg

Also, is it normal to not have diatoms during the cycle. Every tank build I have ever watched they went through a diatom bloom. Is it because I cycled with pure ammonia instead of the dead shrimp?

Rhino said:
Here is the updates for tonight. Hopefully I will be ready for my first fish and coral on Tuesday when I am off.

Looks good just do a good few water changes to
Get those nitrates as close to 0 and your set for some fishes and corals :)

Rhino said:
Also, is it normal to not have diatoms during the cycle. Every tank build I have ever watched they went through a diatom bloom. Is it because I cycled with pure ammonia instead of the dead shrimp?

I would reccomend a skimmer itll help keep organic matter down and also adds oxygen but i do agree on keeping up on maintenance

Rhino said:

If your using the API test kit for nitrate you need to divide the number by 4.4 to get the true nitrate reading. Also it will not read beyond 160 so you may be higher than you think.

Looks good just do a good few water changes to
Get those nitrates as close to 0 and your set for some fishes and corals :)

He has nitrite of 1ppm, not ready to do water changes and add anything. Ammonia and nitrite must be 0ppm, then water changes and ready for critters.

spoonman said:
He has nitrite of 1ppm, not ready to do water changes and add anything. Ammonia and nitrite must be 0ppm, then water changes and ready for critters.

Ha you beat me to it.

spoonman said:

Didn't catch that nitrite reading I take that statement

Back
Top Bottom