20 Long Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
reefrunner69 said:
If your using the API test kit for nitrate you need to divide the number by 4.4 to get the true nitrate reading. Also it will not read beyond 160 so you may be higher than you think.

Why do u have to divide by that number?

Because it tests for a different form of nitrate and to remove the weight of the extra element you have to divide by 4.4.

I have verified it is at least 4 times higher than my aquarium systems test kit.

Because it tests for a different form of nitrate and to remove the weight of the extra element you have to divide by 4.4.

I have verified it is at least 4 times higher than my aquarium systems test kit.

that i did not know, you said that was for API kits? would you not want to multiply by 4.4?

If you read all the parts of the instructions they tell you to keep it below 40 ppm, seems high to me. API tests for total nitrate which includes oxygen other test kits test for nitrate nitrogen.

NO3. Vs NO-3-N

Basically you can adjust either. Using API keep nitrates under 40 or divide by 4.4 and keep them under 10 or vise versa with other test kits.

reefrunner69 said:
If you read all the parts of the instructions they tell you to keep it below 40 ppm, seems high to me. API tests for total nitrate which includes oxygen other test kits test for nitrate nitrogen.

NO3. Vs NO-3-N

Basically you can adjust either. Using API keep nitrates under 40 or divide by 4.4 and keep them under 10 or vise versa with other test kits.

Wow, who knew. I am thinking of getting the Elos test around Christmas, or before just depends. Anybody out there use them?

Billbug68 said:
Updates? I'd love to see some new FTS, maybe one with the stand too? :)

Sorry for the lack of updates. Not been feeling well lately. No updates really to report tank has finally cycled, that is a big update. Have not felt well enough to go get my first coral. Will try to post some pics of the stand for you tomorrow.

Well went to take pics of the stand tonight...and the batteries are dead. Will post pics tomorrow. Quick question though. If a tank is stocked with just corals how often would you all be doing water changes, still once a week? And I mean just corals, no shrimp, no cuc, no fish...just corals. (really just 3-6 small frags)

Hope your feeling better! I would still keep up the regular pwc schedule if you can.

Looks to me like 20 ppm. That is still to high correct? Did a 90% water change today. Have my first corals on hold at lfs.

I am fixing to add my chemi pure elite and seachem purigen. This should help lower nitrates as well right?

Lunchbox209 said:
+1 just keep doing your wc

Wooo another saltwater mixing party in the living room....wife was less than thrilled when she got home last night.

Back
Top Bottom