Ok, this is a little unethical but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I just bought two clown plecos from Petco today and one of them already died. I saw he looked really pale even in the bag before I put him in, but I was stupid and I didn't say anything and I bought him. Anyway, shortly after that one was dead.

Every level in my tank is fine, except my nitrate is in the 20 range. This wouldn't be a problem for any healthy fish, but I'm pretty sure its too high for their refund program. What I was thinking of doing was just filling a pot with water, adding dechlor, boiling it, and them letting it sit out overnight. Then I would bring in this sample as my tank water. Like I said, not 100% ethical, but they sold be a dying fish so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. Wouldn't this work?

just do a 50% water change on your tank.. then bring them a sample.. your fish would like the cleaner water!.. I would really be supprised if they even tested your water for NO3.. I would think they would test for ammonia and nitrite... Ive never worked there though, so I dont know.. :? :?

greenmagi said:
just do a 50% water change on your tank.. then bring them a sample.. your fish would like the cleaner water!.. I would really be supprised if they even tested your water for NO3.. I would think they would test for ammonia and nitrite... Ive never worked there though, so I dont know.. :? :?

They use a 5-in-1 test strip on it, and everything has to be pretty much perfect. I did the water change, but I'm still registering nitrates. Would my idea work? I'm going to test the levels myself in the pot tomorrow, but I just thought I would clear it first, so there is not something obvious I'm missing.

wait the petco out there tests the water when you return a dea fish? i dont get it... do they test the water the dead fish is in. or do you bring seperate water for them to test?

If you think the nitrate killed the fish, then it is unethical to misrepresent your water parameters. If you think the fish died from unrelated causes, then you ought to return it without any worries.

There is nothing abnormal about 20ppm nitrate, so unless you are dealing with an unethical retailer, I don't think it is necessary to misrepresent your tank conditions.

As TG said, there is nothing wrong with 20ppm nitrate. If the person testing doesn't know that, have a reference guide with you ;)

I really dont think you have anything to worry about.. 20ppm NO3 is not that bad.. it shouldnt register that its bad at the store... if you bring in water that has 0 of everything then they will think your havnt cycled your tank.. you would have to dose it with nitrate.. ACK! that would be a gross misrepresentation of your water..

My clown pleco is in 15-20 NO3 and doesn't seem phased. I even caught him out in mid-tank while the lights were on! I don't think you'll have a problem taking the fish back.

FMJnaX said:
My clown pleco is in 15-20 NO3 and doesn't seem phased. I even caught him out in mid-tank while the lights were on! I don't think you'll have a problem taking the fish back.

You guys aren't getting it. I don't think the nitates killed him. I think he was a dying fish when I bought him. I also know Petco has extremely strict reqs. on water quality so that they don't have to issue refunds on dead fish. If I bring in my tankwater, no amount of reseach, or telling them tank girl said my water was fine, or complaining is going to help, they are just going to say I'm sorry, but our policy is that we only refund if your nitrates are below 5 ppm.

Tony.. if you feel like it just mix 15% of your tank water into declorinated tap water....
sounds like there dealing in dieing fish and dont what to take responsability for problems that are definately there falt!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

you are going to do what you want to do anyway....so why are you asking?

argue the point with them, not us. You asked for the opinion, it was given and
gee, you don't like it. If you know the store has a policy of zero nitrates, then you shouldnt have bought the fish from them if you expected to have a guarantee honored and your tank doesnt meet their specs.

Hara said:
you are going to do what you want to do anyway....so why are you asking?

argue the point with them, not us. You asked for the opinion, it was given and
gee, you don't like it. If you know the store has a policy of zero nitrates, then you shouldnt have bought the fish from them if you expected to have a guarantee honored and your tank doesnt meet their specs.

I was asking because I wanted to know if there was some way that they could tell I was using "fake" water, not to get permission from people to do it. I never "asked for the opinion", the morality police on the board just decided to give it. Trust me, I'm not losing any sleep over this, I just want to make sure that I'm not going to get caught.

I will definatly get there return policy in writing before I buy fish from them.. we have one in this area.. and if it is as strict as you say it is I wont be buying fish from them.. :evil:

I don't think the store will view your nitrate reading as bad, what makes you think they will? Take the fish back and if they give you a problem start arguing LOUDLY. Unfortunately that always works.....those who (female dog) the loudest always get their way. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom