Old Scales Semi-Rescape 29g Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys! As for my AR mini... the ones from OS and the ones from TPT guy are looking and acting identical. They get to about 5" and stop growing up but when they get tall they get some tiny, short aerial roots about 1/4 to 1/3" long but that's it and only a couple. That is where I cut the tops off and replant them. SO I believe now they are the same, OS (Brian's) and TPT ones. I can't pull mine up like OS and pull plantlets apart because of the depth of my tank but I am getting so many and have moved all I can to other tanks in the house I'm having to compost some :eek:.
It's just too hot to ship as we are in the upper 90's. I sent OS a bunch of stuff when temps were just getting into the 90's, in a Styrofoam box with ice packs and he still lost all but one stem.

OS (Brian) PM me later and let me know how things are going since we talked on the phone the other day.

Interesting. My AR minis, so far, have got to 3" on the tallest one. Could be alot of things though. Light, PO4 level, amount of carbon. etc. I LOVE the red carpet they have made. With its red color I really wish I had gone with black Flora-max instead of the reddish brwon. Corys love playing in it too. So you can just cut the top off and replant? LOL How do you keep them down in the substrate until they reroot? OS.

Attached pic is of my Ludwigia Peruensis(Glandulosa) showing some, what I think is thread algae(?). It is just on these plants, none of my other plants. Only have lights on 6 hrs(quad 24w T5HO). PPS-Pro ferts and Glut for carbon.
Ph=7.2 KH=4 Ammo=0 NO2=0 NO3=12-15. Temp=77F
Anybody have any tips on its cause and control. My nerites seem to ignore it. Would a Siamese Algae eater eat it?
Thanks all. OS.

Oh my gosh, that ludwigia is so beautiful. Sorry I'm so late to the party on this thread. Yes on the SAE but a million people have said that by now, lol.

Hey guys! As for my AR mini... the ones from OS and the ones from TPT guy are looking and acting identical. They get to about 5" and stop growing up but when they get tall they get some tiny, short aerial roots about 1/4 to 1/3" long but that's it and only a couple. That is where I cut the tops off and replant them. SO I believe now they are the same, OS (Brian's) and TPT ones. I can't pull mine up like OS and pull plantlets apart because of the depth of my tank but I am getting so many and have moved all I can to other tanks in the house I'm having to compost some :eek:.
It's just too hot to ship as we are in the upper 90's. I sent OS a bunch of stuff when temps were just getting into the 90's, in a Styrofoam box with ice packs and he still lost all but one stem.

OS (Brian) PM me later and let me know how things are going since we talked on the phone the other day.

Oh cool that's really good to know! Woohoo!!!

That wisteria is such a weed - I have some in my 55, and even with low-medium light it is taking over. I can't imagine it with high light :eek:

The AR mini definitely is looking good. I may have to try some when/if I upgrade my lighting - I need some red :)

Interesting. My AR minis, so far, have got to 3" on the tallest one. Could be alot of things though. Light, PO4 level, amount of carbon. etc. I LOVE the red carpet they have made. With its red color I really wish I had gone with black Flora-max instead of the reddish brwon. Corys love playing in it too. So you can just cut the top off and replant? LOL How do you keep them down in the substrate until they reroot? OS.

I just cut about 3" off the top of them and stick them in the substrate like a regular stem plant. The root in no time! You know with my phosphate being so high my Downoi gets really big and tall, one will fill my hand, which I am assuming is happening because of the phosphate since it didn't start growing like that until I started getting to above 5ppm's. The Mini Ar might be doing the same thing? I know it's suppose to stay smaller in brighter light and well you can't get too much brighter light than in the 220!

Hey all,
I really jacked up the phosphate dosing to get to 5+ppm. I been too cautious I guess and it wasn't rising very much. Starting to get a spurt of new grow on all the plants. The red's new growth is REALLY red. LOL
Going to do the weekly WC's and trimming today and will cut the tops off some of my tallest AR mini's and replant to see how they do. Will the bottom halves I leave grow new tops very well/quickly?
Janis, the one stem of Cuba is hanging in there. It's small still(3"tall & 1" wide) but it's growing! Thinking about setting up a 20g long for just growing more AR mini and as a spawning tank for raising Julie Corys. I've got two pair of them that have been spawning seems like every two weeks for the last two months. Be interesting to see if I could get the fry to live and grow. I now have a LFS that buys my young guppies and would buy every Julie I have raised. Not sure if I have true or false Julies. Attaching a picture on a new thread so you guys can tell me. Thanks and take care, later OS.

No picture attached... lol!

I know many people think I'm nuts for running phosphates at 5-10ppm but doing that and keeping nitrates at 10ppm really does work. Well you do have to have high light but the phosphates do not cause algae problems like many people think.

I think that is a good idea about the 20L for Mini AR and cory fry. The Mini would be the perfect height for the fry to be in. Are you going to collect the eggs they lay and move them over or are you just going to put the pair in it alone?

No picture attached... lol!

I know many people think I'm nuts for running phosphates at 5-10ppm but doing that and keeping nitrates at 10ppm really does work. Well you do have to have high light but the phosphates do not cause algae problems like many people think.

I think that is a good idea about the 20L for Mini AR and cory fry. The Mini would be the perfect height for the fry to be in. Are you going to collect the eggs they lay and move them over or are you just going to put the pair in it alone?
Going to try and get PO4 to 5 ppm and try there for awhile.
I would keep the breeders in the 20l tank until they lay the eggs then remove the parents. After raising the fry and after selling, put parents back in, condition, and start over. OS.

Hey Breeun, I have no advice to give but just wanted to sub this thread. I want to add to my very little knowledge of plants...haha.

Hi Ian! Good to see you. How's the new tank going? Did you get the clamp for your light yet?

Janis,
You have good point about moving the parent Corys back and forth. I'd better do some more research as well as ask some Cory breeders for some tips.

I know I hear a lot of people talk about removing the eggs so you might want to do research on that too.

Nope, still no clamp. Could be another two weeks:banghead:. Gave the list of plants from you and Janis to my LFS. Waiting to see what they CAN get from it!!!

Great Ian,
If your LFS can't get all you want go online and go to Tropica.com, pick find dealers, put in country(UK). There are a TON of dealers all over your islands. Your shipping shouldn't be too bad for you. OS.

Great Ian,
If your LFS can't get all you want go online and go to Tropica.com, pick find dealers, put in country(UK). There are a TON of dealers all over your islands. Your shipping shouldn't be too bad for you. OS.
Cheers Brian. I got the name of a store in Dublin that seem to have a good selection of plants. Will try them first and then try Tropica. Go raibh mile maith agat!!!

Conas ata tu, cara Ian.
You are going to have to send me some more phrases. I want to learn more. Is there anyplace online I can go to and study?
Go raibh mile maith agat. Slan, Breeun.

Back
Top Bottom