Old Scales Semi-Rescape 29g Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Brian, hope you're well mf.
Here's an updated pic of my current mis-adventures of the planted tank. As you can see, I have removed all the rocks and DW so as to have room for more plants. "It's alive, it's alive! Muhaha. More plants, always more plants! The AR mini is awesome. It is such a hardy, tough little plant that is low maintenance and makes such a great carpet of red. I've really got too much of it now and may have to do the unthinkable and toss some excess in the trash. (Shutter) I just can't understand why it's so rare here in the US.
The Limno(Ambulia) at the right rear is driving me crazy. Grows so fast it needs trimmig every five days. Sheesh! If I had CO2 I'm afraid it would come out of the tank at night and strangle me in my sleep. I'm wanting to replace it with the same amount of the Ludwigia sp. Cuba. I only have four small stems of it right now and it is so pretty and grows much slower. The water wisteria on the left rear grew back funny after last trimming. The back most plant didn't grow as fast as the ones in front of it so the group looks funky right now. My Ludwigia Ovalis and Ludwigia Panatal leaves all melted off last week. I had tried lowering the glut to 15ml daily instead of the 20ml I had been dosing and these guys said, "You cheap us on our glut, we'll show you turkey!" I upped back to 20ml and they are growing back nicely. Ha! Live and learn eh? One thing I am happy about is my light and fert regime has had algae at zero for months now.
The tank just isn't where I want it to be yet. It just doesn't have the right balance of plant heights and texture I envision and the groups aren't as lush as I want. I just don't have the artistic vision you and many others seem to have. I know what I want but actually geting it to reality is another thing. I'm like a three fingered guitar player. I'll learn to play eventually but it will just take me longer. LOL. But I LOVE watching the plants grow and see how they color and fill out. I tend to look at my plants as much as i do my fish. For now my centerpiece plant is the red flame sword. Luckily it is staying just the right size so as to not overpower its neighbors.
Hope your AR mini is doing well. Keep me posted. OS.

Thanks for the update, OS! Your tank is looking great. You do have the artistic eye! Who else in the US has an epic AR mini carpet like that? You're an originator. You should sell it instead of tossing the extras! I'm sure there's a ton of people who want it. Haha... it's funny how your plants rebel against you if you hold back on their glut! Keep the updates coming... Thanks again for the beautiful plants!

I think your layout looks great. Not sure what you don't like about it. You should dub the tank as "The Red Carpet". Took a while to see the tetras (Serpae?)

Now if I squint it reminds me of those plastic screens one would slap onto a B&W TV to give it some "color". I'm sure the young'ns would not get this. Last time I saw one of those was overseas in the mid 70s.

Funny how plants can overpower (more like overcrowd) your hard scape. Never a dull moment as these things are always evolving.

LOL fresh, I remember those screens too. Heck, I remember thedays before television. Yeah those are Serpaes. They were the first fish I got last year for this tank. They watched all my plant endeavors from the start. With much amusement I bet. OS.

Now if I squint it reminds me of those plastic screens one would slap onto a B&W TV to give it some "color". I'm sure the young'ns would not get this. Last time I saw one of those was overseas in the mid 70's
I remember my Mother telling me they used sweet wrappers over there eyes to get 'colour' TV. Similar to the 'old' 3D glass(red&blue!), like the one's we used for Jaws 3D....haha

Back
Top Bottom