Omg! Eggs everywhere! What now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sturgcl1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please can someone help me, I'm totally at a loss as to what to do. Woke up this morning and there are small eggs scattered all over the plants & glass, they are approx 2mm in size & single eggs, not in sacs so guessing they r not snails. 2 of my bronze corys were looking quite friendly last week but they are tiny, only around 3cm long, not sure at what point they mature? The tank contains 2 small bronze corys, 3 sterbai, also small. 3 emerald corys which are much bigger but spend all the time hiding! 1yoyo loach (awaiting friends when lfs has them), 2 bristlenose plecs, 3-4cm very small still & 2 dalmation mollys. I also have 15 large rcs & 4 assasin snails as well as a really big mystery snail that came in with plants.
So firstly who is the likely spawner? & what do I do now? Sure eggs will be eaten if I dont interfere. I have a floating breading tank I could put some in, the fish tank is full of plants so some might make it, or I could use the large gap behind my background which should be safe but quite tricky to get fish out again if they hatch. I can't spend any more money on another tank, funds are very low at the moment & having filter problems as it is.

This is totally unexpected, I havnt done anything to encourage this kind of behaviour, lol. If they do hatch I wouldnt even know what to do with them to find them a new home!

Thats what I thought. I managed to rescue about 30 and put into the breading tank with some plants. Guess we just watch & wait? Hope they hatch, this is really exciting, had a tank as a teenager for years & never had eggs, this ones only a few months old & slowly filing with fish & we have eggs already. Yippee

All the eggs in the breader tank had fine this morning, guessing one of the fish managed to suck through the holes, or they fell out, never mind.

Sorry your eggs disappeared. I ended up getting a new tank when my danios laid so many eggs I couldn't begin to count. I moved my adults as that was the easier move but I have no idea what to do with the babies once they get bigger. Lol. Are there still any eggs on the bottom of your tank?

Lol, looked in the tank this morning and saw 2 really tiny little corys! Hehe, I assumed the eggs had gone, I never imagined they had hatched! Dont know if they will survive with all those other bottom dwellers, but fingers crossed, they are pretty fast little fellas. Would your lfs buy your surplus fish? Or perhaps list on the clasified section? It's so rewarding when they hatch you easily forget your left with too many fish to cope with.

Your LFS will most likely take them, whether or not they will pay you is another story, sometimes they will give you a store credit.

Congrats on the fry.

Thanks, my husband is calling them yoyo food, think it's quite likely since it's already had all my fully grown rcs & assasin snails! Yoyo is only small, didnt think he would kill so much big food when the tank is so full of little snails, he doesnt seen to eat akk the rcs, have just found them dead & slightly chewed!

Suppsedly a nearby lfs will buy them but no one answered when I tried to call several times last week. I will try again today. I hope your little ones make it!

Fry still alive

Just wanted to update as very excited. I assumed my yoyo had eaten the tiny cory fry as not seen any for weeks, then today I was tidying up the plants and to my surprise out came a small fishy. He has a lot of pattern on him unlike my bronze so not sure if it's one of those, our a sterbai, I never found out who laid the eggs. I triwd to take a photo but he was hiding so not very clear. He looks bronze in colour, just more patterened.

Will try & upload photo, my mobile wont upload for some reason

Heres a photo of my tiny cory, I'm guessing he is a bronze but I also have sterbai & emeralds. Any ideas?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110708_185948.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110708_185948.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 166
Back
Top Bottom