one more halide question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris stevens

Aquarium Advice Regular
So the plan is the Sunpod 2x 150HQI over a 55 Gallon tenecor acrylic (about 18" tall). Now i'm reading horror stories on Wetwebmedia about heating issues (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/mhmarfaq5.htm). I knew that halide was heat generating, and I've pretty much resigned to the fact that I'll need to suspend the lamp atleast a foot or so over the tank, but is it going to overheat my tank significantly? I don't want to invest in a chiller and I want to keep the tank asthetically pleasing (i.e. no huge fans)....is halide a bad idea for me? the sunpod has a cooling fan, will this likely keep it under control? I'm running coralife lunar aqualights now (192w) which I know is respectable but I really want to keep a top notch reef and i've gotten the impression that MH is a key factor in that. I guess the question is : how much of a factor is overheating, if I keep the lamp suspended significantly over the tank, and how much will the intensity of the lamps be affected by hanging it a distance from the top of my tank?

You will be fine. If your water starts to heat up to much get a personal fan from lowes/walmart etc and set it up so it will blow across the water. You will be surprised the difference it will make. (keep a eye on evaporation) I have 2000w of MH and 400w T5 lights. I have a 12" fan that runs nonstop and when the lights kick on a second 12" fan comes on.

Back
Top Bottom