Online shopping? Or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AftermathTheWar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,

I'm new to the site and have already seen a lot of knowledgeable aquarium owners here. Which is a joy! However I have an issue that I was hoping I could get some feedback on. I have a 150gal with 5 red belly piranhas all of which are about 6 inches a piece. A 14 in pelco and an assortment of small crabs and large snails. All of which have lived happily together for nearly 8 months. I've raised the P's since they were fry and care greatly about their diet.

I have recently ran into a wall here in southern Ohio with feeding. My local pet store has been under new management for roughly two months and I've had this tank for over a year, visiting this store two to even three times a week. The new management doesn't take care of their fish and I've had to turn to alternative feedings sources because they allow the fish to have ick and then try to sell them off.

Ultimately I'm asking if anyone knows a decent website or seller who can ship 3-5inch comets or other feeder fish that are live. Or who has had bad experiences so I know who to stay away from? Any input is appreciated!

Have you considered local bait shop suppliers? Sometimes you can find out where they get the supply and keep your own supply of live fish. I know of many people who order online here, but every batch of fish would have to be checked and maybe even qt'd to be careful of the P's.

A place in Pittsburgh might be good for you being that your in Ohio is oddballpets.com I love them guys and plan on visiting them soon

I like to feed the occasional live fish to my oscars and other large American cichlids, but parasites and diseases are always a worry. Feeder and bait fish aren't cared for the way aquarium fish usually are. I used to have a small molly tank so I'd always have plenty of fry for feeders. Now, I get feeders from a friend who breeds guppies, and gives me her ugly and off-colored fish to use as feeders. Have you thought of breeding your own? Much safer that way. You'd only need a 20g tank or so.

Have you considered local bait shop suppliers? Sometimes you can find out where they get the supply and keep your own supply of live fish. I know of many people who order online here, but every batch of fish would have to be checked and maybe even qt'd to be careful of the P's.

Some of the bait shops I frequent take better care of their fish than certain pet stores I've been through. My brother actually works a store that has a large bait fish tank where he is raising a few catfish that came in accidentally. There are people that care about their fish everywhere (even if they are just bait)!

Some of the bait shops I frequent take better care of their fish than certain pet stores I've been through. My brother actually works a store that has a large bait fish tank where he is raising a few catfish that came in accidentally. There are people that care about their fish everywhere (even if they are just bait)!

Sometimes they are wild caught and carry parasites

Sometimes they are wild caught and carry parasites

This is true of fish anywhere you can buy them. Wild caught always runs risks of parasites, even if your LFS or bait store quarantines. I'm not familiar with feeder fish or bait supply business practices, but I'd have to imagine it would be horribly unprofitable to wild catch for either.

Ever thought of raising your own feeder fish? Great excuse for a second tank of live bearers or something that reproduces quick. I don't know how quickly goldfish have babies.

Back
Top Bottom