Open Top or Covered Top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What type of tops do your tanks have?

• Covered

Votes: 23 47.9%
  • Open

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Both

Votes: 14 29.2%

• Total voters
I've had one jump out, which was an auratus and a known jumper (found out after the fact). Otherwise, the only fish I've lost to jumping were fish that jumped from the buckets when I moved.

I keep mine covered because of evaporation and 2 kids who try to be helpful.

Covered for me since I have a 10 kg of fur walking around the place (read: my wife's cat :D)

I have all covered tanks but I agree it is easier if they are uncovered except for the evaporation factor. I've lost several parrot fish and oscars from jumping out all in covered tanks so I changed the cover type to glass which is heavier.

I have both, My 10 and 75 are both covered and my 20 is open. the only reason I have them like they are is because it is the way I bought them.

with my open tank my cat has fallen in a couple of times...i woke up one morning to water all over my couch and floors and my cat walked out of the bedroom shaking the water off his back end and looked at me like "what I was in the bedroom sleeping, not fishing"

With a 7 and 3 year old(s) ... I'd say a cover is basically a necessity. Want to guess how many "objects" i've found laying on top to the canopy?

I had a uncovered tank as a newbie and had 2 danos jump out. Always covered know, I love my fish and hate funerals down the tiolet. I play a water fall cd.

I've got them all covered because these are all "old school" tanks and don't have that beautiful polished edges look that the new tanks meant to be coverless have. Mine would just look unfinished without covers.

Glass top on my 75 African Cichlid tank. Afraid to keep it uncovered all though I think it would look nicer without the canopy and some nice lighting hitting the water direct instead of glass.

2 of mine are covered.one isnt. the one with no lid definitely has a lot more evaporation

KonvictKeeper said:
It would probably look better but I would worry about water splashing into my lights.

My lights are on legs. About 2.5 inches high with acrylic cover for the bulbs. You think it would work? I really like the idea. What about jumpers? That would stink.

View attachment 63657

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom