Open Top or Covered Top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What type of tops do your tanks have?

• Covered

Votes: 23 47.9%
  • Open

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Both

Votes: 14 29.2%

• Total voters
I have a top on both my tanks. Years ago I have a 20 gallon with a top on and just a section open for the filter. One day I found my algae eater on the floor behind my tank. Don't know how he managed to get out.

Question. I've be contemplating going topless but I have yet another question. Of course you run the risk of jumpers. I have a 75g African Cichlid tank and that worries me. But it would look a lot nicer with out the glass canopy and all the condensation on it. But what about heat? Will you lose heat? Doesn't the canopy or hood help keep in heat?

I still have my top on but with these kick *** lights I think topless might be the way to go!!

View attachment 64052

Last edited:
Your heater will definately have to work a bit harder and evaporation will increase slightly.It may also surprise you how well africans can jump if they have the mind to (especially if they are being chased)

I use tops on three and I still need to buy another one for my 20 long. Keeps the water and fish in.

Yes but open tops also mean fish on the floor,and faster evaporation,iv lost peacock bass and jaguar cichlids to open tops,i also see a higher more steady temp with lids

I have never lost one fish I have 8 tanks 3 125gals 3 46gals 2 30 gals all open top and had some of them for over 5 years all open top I have never lost one fish by them jumping out !!

All of my tanks are covered.....for the most part. My Redsea Max 130d overheats so I leave the first part of the lid open when the lights are on. :)

Megacichlid said:
Wow i wish i had your luck;) i use lids now
I guess it depends on what kind of fish yoi keep

Very true :) to be honest when I first started I was very worried that they would jump out but I really liked the look of a open top tank, I just keep it very heavily planted and my fish seem so calm, they love the tank so I guess they feel secure :)

I've had a couple jumpers even with covers, so open tops worry me. Years ago I had one red finned shark jump about three times until I got a completely covered 5 gallon just for him. No idea how he found his way out of the tiny hole for the filter. Also had a swordtail "disappear" until I found him stuck to the wall behind my tank. Which was covered...

I was gonna go topless but I noticed when I was cleaning the glass tops while doing a water change the water was going all over the place from the 2 air stones so I'm gonna keep the tops on.

Convict2161 said:
I was gonna go topless but I noticed when I was cleaning the glass tops while doing a water change the water was going all over the place from the 2 air stones so I'm gonna keep the tops on.

I don't run airstones because I use c02 so I don't want to lose it, I also think topless looks so much more better if done right

richpowell1989 said:
I don't run airstones because I use c02 so I don't want to lose it, I also think topless looks so much more better if done right

I agree it does look better and with my light setup I think my tank would look killer. Can't do it because of the water splashing all over, so I bought the matching canopy for the tank. All is good now.

View attachment 66633

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom