Open Top or Covered Top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What type of tops do your tanks have?

• Covered

Votes: 23 47.9%
  • Open

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Both

Votes: 14 29.2%

• Total voters
00youknowit00 said:
When I get my new fixture I'll probably go open unless I start having fish jumping out. That's my only concern.

That's mine too! But with the new fixture I think the tank would look killer!! I'm just scared of jumpers. But the glass gets dirt and condensation builds up and hinders the light. Topless might be the way the go.

Convict2161 said:
That's mine too! But with the new fixture I think the tank would look killer!! I'm just scared of jumpers. But the glass gets dirt and condensation builds up and hinders the light. Topless might be the way the go.

My thoughts exactly! Looks way cooler, and of better light wise!

jetajockey said:
I don't have tops on nearly all of my tanks. I don't plan to put any on them either.

Jeta, I'm really wanting to try this. Have you ever had any jumpers? Problems?

I googled images and unlike the no top look. And with the new light system I really think it will just add to it. Nice and clean.

Convince me to go topless!! LOL!!

jetajockey said:
There have been a few here and there, but for the most part, no. It seems like if the tank has fish that are startle-prone it's not a good idea.

Well I have African Cichlid's as you know. So... Bad idea? Good idea? Only time I really ever see them jump is when feeding. It's fun to watch. They jump right over on and other to get the pellets.

jetajockey said:
There have been a few here and there, but for the most part, no. It seems like if the tank has fish that are startle-prone it's not a good idea.

Have any paradise fish ever jumped? I'm asking because both of my males have. :( only fish I've ever have jump.

No tops for me. Makes cleaning and feeding much easier. I've learned my lesson with jumping fish and avoid them, makes worrying about a cover over.

Darn, I guess they don't like me. :/ but anyways, not to be off topic. I have my 75 covered and my shrimp tank open. My 32 was open also but I took it down.

50-50 for me right now. One open, one covered. I haven't had any jumpers and the cats haven't tried to get in. One of them actually fell into a turtle tank once so I don't think he will try fishing any time soon.
I'll be setting up another tank shortly and it already has a lid so I'll probably use it even though I prefer the look of open tanks.

Do you think my Africans would jump? I mean are they known for it? And I have 2 catfish. One upside down and one cuckoo.

I have cats and they don't do much more than drink out of the tanks every now and again. The cats actually spend more time on the tanks that have full hoods, I guess the heat from the lighting makes it a cozy spot.

My male cat finds any way possible to get a paw in the tanks... Then attempts to go fishin'...

Back
Top Bottom