Opinion needed. Air stone or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mfdrookie516 said:
tacky IMHO

+1 all the work you put into that scape to look so natural and then you have what seems to be a methane pocket under your tank lol..imo bubblers go good with themed tanks or super bright tanks that have no natural look.

I hate air stones in tanks. It kills the natural look. The only reason that I ever put one in my tank is cause it seems to oxygenate the water. I'm not stating a fact, just that my fish seem to be more active and lively when I run it. Never the less I have it tucked back in the corner hidden behind some structure to fool myself into thing it isn't there. LoL

So I would say out or hide it hahaha

My son woke up at 6 and when I walked into the living room the air stone was off! I think the pump may have went or something. Not sure. Oh well... I'll get to it eventually ;)

OUT!!!! I like the natural habitat look. I don't use one in any of my tanks except the quarantine tank. Do they have air stones in the lakes and rivers, nope. Lol

Yank it out and tell her you found out that the air can get trapped in the mouths of the mama fishes when the fry hatch and she tries to house them. It can cause baby deaths! Omg, does he really want to have that guilt on her if your fish decide to breed. Lol ok I gotta stop. I can come up with lots more reasons NOT to have air stones in a cichlid tank ?

Andrew McFadden said:
I vote out, I have one in my tank for when needed only

This^^^

It's off I should say however I'm keeping in the tank just in case also. No point in taking it out. It will only make a mess and the hose is hidden anyway.

I have 2 of them in my main Cichlid tank that are both on the PM timer. I personally don't like the looks of them in my tanks, but they do look ok in others (not in yours BTW).

The bubblers in my tanks are sponge filters. I figure I might as well make it functional. But convict's tank looks great without.

Just for the record, air stones disrupt the surface, therefore allowing oxygen exchange. The bubbles themselves aren't what oxygenate the water ;) with that said, and hearing you have a AC110, leave the ting off! Haha they're loud and look SOOOO unnatural! Still love the tank though Convict :)

Freakgecko91 said:
Just for the record, air stones disrupt the surface, therefore allowing oxygen exchange. The bubbles themselves aren't what oxygenate the water ;) with that said, and hearing you have a AC110, leave the ting off! Haha they're loud and look SOOOO unnatural! Still love the tank though Convict :)

+1. Best way to prove that is true is look at bubbles from an air stone. Same size as they travel through the water to the surface. Now watch bubbles from a co2 injection. They shrink as they travel.

One benefit from an air stone is they push the denser water (less oxygenated) up to the surface where it can absorb oxygen from the surface.

Back
Top Bottom