Oscar and BN pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josie1382

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Currently I have a BN about 1.5 inches and a tiger oscar (Tim) who is 2 inches in a 10 gallon tank. I am growing Tim to go with my albino tiger oscar, Edgar. I want to make sure my pleco will be safe as Edgar got one of my snails already. New at the oscar scene so let me know what you think. Thanks

How big is edgar's tank? Is edgar full grown?
Edgar is in a 30 gallon currently by himself. I don’t believe he is full grown yet however I have only had him for about a week and a half

Ok Oscars need 75g just for 1. If you want 2 you will need over 100 gallons to keep them from killing each other. They may not look it now but they get huge, at least 12" long.

Wow I had no idea. My local petsmart told me if only need 60 gallons for both full grown!!!!

Yeah sometimes people at petsmart know and other times they have no idea. I made a mistake thanks to a petsmart employee and since then I always made sure I researched my fish choices.
It's not just size you need to take into account with oscars, it's also aggression and waste. Carnivorous fish always produce more waste so a larger tank with big water changes and great filtration is a must.
If you have a local fish store (non big brand) they always seem to know more about fish. They may even have an adult oscar so you can see them full sized. Pictures often don't do fish sizes justice.

Back
Top Bottom