Oscar Fish is Something Wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nmwmab714

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a tiger oscar about 5 inches and today i looked and he has like white spots. not like ick but its like his scales are gone it almost looks like cotton or something I don't really know how to explain it. It may be from the other oscar but they've been in the same tank for a few months and its never happened before and it doesn't seem like that other oscar could make those spots on both side of him they look almost exactly the same. Would it be a disease of some sorts or just the oscars being aggressive?

right now they are in a 45 gallon until we get out 75 and what do you mean by flashing?

Rubbing against the substrate, rocks, glass, equipment, etc. It can cause what you are describing. Having two of them in a tank that small could lead to all sorts of issues... 75 is even cutting it close for housing 2 of them... Could you post pics? That might better help identify what this particular issue is.

I have not seen him do that but one of the bigger rocks is knocked over

Attachments

• IMAG0149.jpg
    IMAG0149.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMAG0150.jpg
    IMAG0150.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMAG0151.jpg
    IMAG0151.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMAG0152.jpg
    IMAG0152.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 75
Very well could be flashing... which could mean the tank is just not big enough, or it could mean something else.

What are your water parameters? (Nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, pH, temperature)?

What is your tank maintenance schedule? How many/how often/how much per change when you do a PWC?

I don't remember the exact numbers but everything is within safe limits except my pH is high I put pH balancer in about a week ago. temperature is 77. and we take out 75% of the water about every 2 weeks or when it starts looking dirty.

What is high for the pH? Need the numbers associated with the tests. The only safe levels of ammonia and nitrite are 0.

Using pH balancer in the tank could be contributing to the problem...

nmwmab714 said:
I don't remember the exact numbers but everything is within safe limits except my pH is high I put pH balancer in about a week ago. temperature is 77. and we take out 75% of the water about every 2 weeks or when it starts looking dirty.

pH altering chemicals is a big no-no. Most fish can and will adjust to almost any pH. The balancer makes everything out of whack and causes more problems than it's worth. It's more important to keep it steady.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

Thanks. My pH was at 8 it was the highest on my test strips...but I will clean my tank out tomorrow and see if that helps. Only the one oscar is like that but it is worse now...the one side I can see like under the scales and see the veins in the fish. he is acting completely normal so I guess all I can do is clean the whole tank and hope it gets better....thanks guys :)

Back
Top Bottom