Oscars are breeding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lewisc12

Aquarium Advice Regular
Picked up this pair of oscars about two weeks ago. Previous owner had never seen them mate. Noticed today that they were being unusually aggressive towards their tank mates and clearing a rock off constantly. Took out their tank mates, gave them a nice flat rock, did a water change and poof! Lots of eggs :) Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• image-329020543.jpg
    image-329020543.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 126
  • image-3263104046.jpg
    image-3263104046.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 114
As far as I know, its rare to have a pair breed. Good luck with them. Hope to see tons of updates with pics!

Thanks! I've been researching it and some people recommend to remove the eggs and others recommend to leave them in to be cared for by the parents. Debating on how to proceed. She's still laying eggs, there's gotta be over a thousand in there!

If the parents are guarding the eggs I'd leave them. The main thing you need to do is make sure you don't get fungus on the eggs so make sure the eggs are being fanned by one parent.

They are very protective so far. Both taking turns hovering above them and fanning them constantly.

Yes just leave them. The parents will take care of them. Or do the complete opposite and eat them. Make sure they are both fed regularly so they dont get too hungry

Yes just leave them. The parents will take care of them. Or do the complete opposite and eat them. Make sure they are both fed regularly so they dont get too hungry

They refused food today, I assume because they are mating. How soon can I expect them to start accepting food again?

Congrats!!!!! Keep us up to date on pics!!! Oscars are the puppy in a tank I miss mine!! But he was just to nasty

So far so good! The male is eating already, but mommas too protective yet to leave them alone. I'll post any updates when they happen :)

Nice looking fish can't wait to see the baby's I love oscars by far the best cichlid!

Well, one of the parents had a few mouthfuls of eggs it appears as I am missing all but a hundred when I woke up this morning. Moved the eggs to their own tank with lots of aeration but I'm worried that they are duds. Should they have hatched by now?

How often can I expect them to breed now?

Sometimes they eat their own eggs, not exactly sure why! Maybe duds, maybe they just don't know what to do.... hopefully the eggs you saved will be fine. keep us posted!

Well folks, after an unsuccessful first attempt my oscars are at it again. New batch of eggs are now 2 days old, definitely fertilized and being well protected and cared for. They were a lot more aggressive this time and have been causing quite a stir. She also laid twice as many eggs this time. Some on the driftwood (in the pic) and an equal amount on a rock in front of the driftwood. Unfortunately the male only fertilized the ones on the driftwood so I removed the others. Fingers crossed for a more successful hatching this time!

Attachments

• image-1202146818.jpg
    image-1202146818.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom