oscars with monos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sayan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I hav a 78g tank with 2 albino oscars. I'm interested in monos this days. But both are from different water.one fresh another brakish. But I have seen monos are kept several times in freshwater tank in my LFS.even when I go through youtube also seen there oscars and monos kept together.so here my question is can I keep them together? if yes what kind of water is good for them to keep together?need suggessions.thanx

But from somewhere in internet I hav read that a guy who hav his mono happily with oscar in freshwater from the begining and till now when he's almost adult in size.can u plz tell me some good tank mates for monos...

But from somewhere in internet I hav read that a guy who hav his mono happily with oscar in freshwater from the begining and till now when he's almost adult in size.can u plz tell me some good tank mates for monos...

You can find almost anything on the internet, it doesn't really mean that it's a good idea.

As far as tankmates goes, I guess it depends on the goal of the tank. If you intend to eventually go full marine then you'd be limited on your options unless you switched stock over to SW. While they are in brackish you could stock some brackish-friendly fish, I suggest to do some research to see what you like.

Yup that's a good idea to hav some research but preferrably I'll go with brakish coz full marine is much more expensive compared to brakish. If I keep a group of monos like 4 or 6 wat size of tank do I need to keep them?

Good tank mates for monos are scats and maybe small spotted puffers. Certain catfish as well. Ive seen people keep mollys with them in a brakish set up as well.. They say monos are full marine as adults, not nessasaraly true, Its IDEAL for them to be full marine as adults but isnt totally nessasary.

thanks buddy. Still doing some research with it. Monos are cool and oscars are the intelligent guys. So just want to keep both of them

If you plan on trying it just be careful. Try to make sure they are around the same size. They both get huge! If you want my honest opinion i personaly wouldnt do it.

I'd be more worried about the bioload in your tank...It's not quite large enough for a couple of oscars, let alone the addition of mono(s)...I'd say you'd be playing with fire by trying, it would only be a matter of time till it all crashes IMO

No no I'm not doing it. Really both of them goes big in size. Tank size does matter.I researched a bit.may be keeping them together isn't a very good idea. But next time I'll go for monos for sure. Thanx for the info guys

sayan said:
No no I'm not doing it. Really both of them goes big in size. Tank size does matter.I researched a bit.may be keeping them together isn't a very good idea. But next time I'll go for monos for sure. Thanx for the info guys

Yean man no prob! Goodluck to you! Hint: brakish tanks are reallllly nice ;)

Back
Top Bottom