Oto not eating much

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi!
I've wanted an otocinclus for ages, but didn't want to get one till I had algae for it to eat. My tank has had brown algae for a good few weeks now, and when I've been researching it, they often recommend Otos for controlling the algae.

I finally got my little oto on Saturday :D he's adorable!
He doesn't seem to be eating much though. He's eaten some of the slimy grey stuff covering my filter, but none of the brown algae. If he's not eating the brown algae, I don't know if there's enough in the tank for him to eat. I have tried giving him algae wafers to eat, but the other fish all beat him to it. I've put cucumber in the tank for him, but he hasn't touched that either.
He just seems to swim a lot, or rest on the leaves of one of my plants.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get him to eat?

Leave him be and he will eventually eat - he might need some companions though - they are better in groups of three or more!

Deep Seven said:
Did you blanch the cucumber?

No, I asked on another thread about how to feed cucumber, and I was told to just weigh it down or clip it in the tank, not to worry about removing the seeds or rind. Should I have blanched it then? What does that involve (how embarrassing having to ask that ;) )

Do they eat any other veggies? I've heard of zucchini, which I think is what we call a courgette? But is there anything else? I only want to buy him veggies that I like, coz if he's fussy and won't eat it, I want to be able to eat what he doesn't :)

reflex1 said:
Leave him be and he will eventually eat - he might need some companions though - they are better in groups of three or more!

Ok :) I'm just a bit worries because I've heard that a lot of people lose them within the first month. I don't want to be one of them.
I'm planning in getting some more, but didn't want to add too many fish at a time :)

Blanching is a cooking term. It simply refers to the process of putting the food in boiling water for a set time, (like 5-20 seconds), and then putting the food in ice water to stop the cooking.

It helps steralize the food without destroying it's nutritional value. It also softens it a bit making it easier to eat.

courgette

I googled courgette, and it came up with a bunch of zucchini pictures.

Deep Seven said:
Blanching is a cooking term. It simply refers to the process of putting the food in boiling water for a set time, (like 5-20 seconds), and then putting the food in ice water to stop the cooking.

It helps steralize the food without destroying it's nutritional value. It also softens it a bit making it easier to eat.

I googled courgette, and it came up with a bunch of zucchini pictures.

Ok, I'll try that then. Thank you :)
Yeah I thought that's what you were all calling zucchini :) maybe I'll get a courgette tomorrow then. Hope he likes it, because I certainly don't. Bleh!

Maybe I'll google some recipes for that then :) I might like it in bread. I hate it when people boil it or roast it and it goes all slimy and smushy.

Just wanted to add that Ottos bellies are TINY. If you wanted to use them for algae control more than just to keep them, I would get more than one.

Tim Wheatley said:
Just wanted to add that Ottos bellies are TINY. If you wanted to use them for algae control more than just to keep them, I would get more than one.

I've wanted one for ages, not just because they control algae. That's an added bonus ;)
Ive read on several sites that ottos should always have a fat belly, but mine hasn't yet.
I made sure I picked one at the shop that seemed the most alert and was merrily munching away when I got him, but I haven't seen him eating much now he's home. When I do see him eat, he seems to be cleaning the clean glass, and not the glass that's covered in algae.

He might prefer one type of food over another, perhaps you have some type of algae on the cleaner looking part of the glass. I never saw my Otto with I'd describe as a full belly, I never actually saw him do what I'd know was eating, but he always seemed busy.

Tim Wheatley said:
He might prefer one type of food over another, perhaps you have some type of algae on the cleaner looking part of the glass. I never saw my Otto with I'd describe as a full belly, I never actually saw him do what I'd know was eating, but he always seemed busy.

Oh good :) so I'm probably just being a bit paranoid then?

Well, I blanched the cucumber and put that in the tank for oto. The annoying thing is that my tetras have now decided that they like cucumber too. Grr. I have duh trouble with these little guys, they eat anything they can get hold of!

That's often a really good thing. If only I could get my Oscar to try anything except bloodworms and Cichlid pellets. :)

Tim Wheatley said:
That's often a really good thing. If only I could get my Oscar to try anything except bloodworms and Cichlid pellets. :)

Heh heh :) it is a good thing until they eat te catfish pellets whole! I don't know how they even get them in their mouths!
I've bought a courgette today, so hopefully oto will munch on that :)

You could try putting a large piece in at night, then taking it out the next morning. Obviously you won't see him eat it then though... lol That way the other fish wouldn't possibly be able to eat it all if it's huge.

Tim Wheatley said:
You could try putting a large piece in at night, then taking it out the next morning. Obviously you won't see him eat it then though... lol That way the other fish wouldn't possibly be able to eat it all if it's huge.

True :) I'd probably wake up in the morning to football shaped tetras, and an oto that won't eat it because he runs away from the other fish ;) I'll try tonight. Thanks for the really quick reply by the way :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom