Otocinculus Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
3 sounds like a plan. i googled them and it said they will be healthy if they are moving around, stick together, and have their fins erect. it also said to put cucumber in the bag and then the bag in a dark plkace. that sound good? sorry if i seem paranoid, its just i really dont want them to die, and i hate feeling responsible for fishie deaths...
i put the cucumber in a bowl/mug and microwave it for 4 minutes

I never quite understand mine, I have three and they seem to disappear for most of the time. I usually can only find one, but now I'm pretty sure the other are eating my driftwood cuz whenever I see them that's where they usually are haha :)

I recommend adding them once the tank has been established for atleast six months (if it hasn't been already). Stock no more than 1 per 5 gallons. I offer a high quality algae wafer daily, blanched shelled peas once a week, and blanched zucchinni once a week. Oto's can be very picky eaters so it's not a bad idea to keep a bowl of tank water with some stones in it in a sunny place until the stones are covered with algae. Then you can place the stones in the tank to supplement. I especially recommend doing this for smaller tanks, and during the period you may not be sure if your oto's are eating the other supplements.

...if I get some otos will they share algae wafers etc. With my pleco? Or do you think they'll compete?

I think your pleco will scare the otos off. Mine never go after algae wafers either.

When I add veggies or wafers I split it in to two. One is basically for my bristtlenose and the other is a free for all. Use to keep it only on one side and the Pleco just smothered it and challenged anyone that came near him.

Excuse my ignorance, but how do I "blanch" vegetables? My otos do not like any of the algae wafers I have tried, but they do eat algae I grow on rocks in the sun. It would be nice to give them a vegetable treat though. What sorts of vegies can you blanch?

To the original poster, I've just gone through what you are about to go through with adding otos (won't even comment on how poorly I actually pronounce their names). From the research I've done prior to and since adding them I've found that they can have a hard time acclimating to a new tank no matter the method used to introduce them. I added six to 2 well established tanks and lost 2 in the first week. They remaining 4 seem hardy and are great algae eaters. I agree with another poster that they probably won't go after algae wafers. I actually leave my lights on for longer periods during the day to encourage algae growth. They've done well in not only keeping the algae levels in check but eliminating algae that was there prior to changing my lighting schedule. I haven't started feeding them cucumbers or lettuce yet (I'm concerned with competition from my cories and snails), but is something I'm planning on doing in the near future. BTW, I agree with the other posters that suggest you get several otos for you tank. I'm planning on replacing the 2 that I lost and adding even some more.

Excuse my ignorance, but how do I "blanch" vegetables? My otos do not like any of the algae wafers I have tried, but they do eat algae I grow on rocks in the sun. It would be nice to give them a vegetable treat though. What sorts of vegies can you blanch?

you can blanch most common veggies. u blanch them by plunging them in boiling water for like 10 0r 5 sec, then into freezing cold water i believe. at least thats what i do...

i was planning on getting 3 or 4 otos is that ok?

should be fine, I bought my 9 in two sets, one of five then a second group of four, I have been lucky with my crackheads as they swim all over the tank seldom sitting for more than a second or two and didn't lose any, even though one set came from wal-mart

I have one in my 29 and I'm planning on getting 2 more in the next few days. When I acclimate them, will my guy recognize them and school? Is there anything special I need to do? My oto seems to be socializing with my goldies, but I haven't seen him eat or suck on anything at all. I'm just worried he's stressed and starving himself.

I have one in my 29 and I'm planning on getting 2 more in the next few days. When I acclimate them, will my guy recognize them and school? Is there anything special I need to do? My oto seems to be socializing with my goldies, but I haven't seen him eat or suck on anything at all. I'm just worried he's stressed and starving himself.
have you tried blanched veggies?mine love cucumber

Not yet, he's only been in there a few days. I got him to try to tame my algae problem, so I just moved all my algae rocks to the back where he seems to like hanging out.

(p.s. Sorry for hijacking your thread, it just seemed silly to open a new one about the same fish :))

Back
Top Bottom