Ottos!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a thought and am wondering if maybe the Otos didn't have enough to eat in the tank... My mollies & betta are such PIGS that even when I sneak in algae wafers in the dark after they've been fed earlier in the evening they eat them... Perhaps there wasn't enough food for the Otos? I did and do see these new ones wiggling along the glass and sucking on it.. But the little bit of diatoms in the corners are never really touched much... At least not that I can visibly tell...
What do you guys think?
I have supplemented cucumber and squash and out of 6 slices, there are 2 for me to remove in the morning... Maybe I should always add those in at night so the Otos have a chance??

I have read that food for ottos shoul be placed in at lights out to give them a chance to get it. I also break up my alge wafers so they for have to compete with the corys. However I've see. Them perched on a catfish pellet!!

Maybe the otos just need specific tank mates. I have mine with corys and RCS and assassin snails and they have no issue eating algae wafers alongside the rest of the crew. Perhaps you should rethink your stocking if you want to successfully keep otos.

maestromad said:
I have read that food for ottos shoul be placed in at lights out to give them a chance to get it. I also break up my alge wafers so they for have to compete with the corys. However I've see. Them perched on a catfish pellet!!

After lights out i will put in 5-6 wafers so they even get a chance.... And I still don't know if they get it or not because it's gone by morning... I do this a few times a week..

Some otos just don't like to eat anything but pure algae. If it was me, I'd try growing the algae on rocks on a window sill, then putting them in the tank.

Fishies86 said:
Some otos just don't like to eat anything but pure algae. If it was me, I'd try growing the algae on rocks on a window sill, then putting them in the tank.

I thought about that... But wouldn't they eat the brown algae/diatoms on the glass? Diatoms have a few streak lines from them but are growing more than anything..

ocminpin said:
I thought about that... But wouldn't they eat the brown algae/diatoms on the glass? Diatoms have a few streak lines from them but are growing more than anything..

Whenever I've had otos they've gone crazy over the diatoms. Sometimes it's just down to the individual fishes. Maybe your diatoms are growing quicker than the otos can eat them?

I agree with Fishie86 about some otos not eating supplements. Since you have diatoms, I wouldn't be too concerned about them getting enough to eat though. I have kept otos with mollies, angels, and other really piggy fish without an issue. It is a good idea to drop in food at night so the otos have the first choice of it though.
If you are concerned, then growing algae on a rock is a good idea. :)

The female is quite the hyper one at night! Last several nights she has been making circles and flips around the plants... And then landing and eating off the glass... I'm liking her a lot... The male is quieter...

Coursair said:
Btw my female Oto is NOT dull colored at all. She is wider. The females tend to be larger and wider. Not less colorful.

Oh okay, I thought the color was duller too.. Yrs definitely wider. Head isn't as lean..

Back
Top Bottom