Parasite or pods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deanoz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all, I have started a new sw tank up, 120L with hob with a small skimmer..has been cycling for 3weeks with liverock..ive been noticing so many little tube anenomes sprouting on the rocks ..this morning i was going over the tank and noticed these tiny white 1mm sized flea looking things in plague proportions..my question is wat are they a nusiance? or are they good..any info would be appreciated..cheers

Ok, i thought they were good, because there are tubes sprouting off the glass, so they have to be feeding on something..cheers, just did not want to introduce livestock incase they were parasites

Very good link! Cleared up some things for me. Although I most likely still use the term "pod" when talking about them in general. lol

Thanks for the replys, i now know they arnt tube anenomes, but mere aiptasia..
Just to clarify why are these things bad? I cant even count how many there are on the liverock now 

Aiptasia will take over your tank iif your not careful. I would suggest getting a peppermint shrimp or multiple companies sell aiptasia killer. I use Blue Reef's solution. Comes with a syringe, you wiggle it in their tentacles and when they close around it you squirt it in their mouths and within a minute they turn black and start falling off whatever theyre attached too

I just ordered some red sea aptasia-x..hope it should do the trick ..with the pep shrimp the tank is only a month or so old (cycle wise) & the shrimp arnt that cheap..but definatly am
Planning on putting some in later....
So with the ap-x, what about the smaller ones say 1-2mm size its going to be a massive task to get every one of them! Any tips? Thanks in advance

If they're to small that they just close up before you can get their tentacles to close around it just squirt it right above them onto the head an make sure you cover the entire head. The bigger ones it will be like feeding them. Just use your best judgment. You'll be a pro at it once your done. Also make sure to turn all the pumps off during treatment and for 10 mins after you treat the last nem.

The big ones that move around the sand that have physical bodies could be sand fleas.

Back
Top Bottom