Parrot cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike4242

Aquarium Advice Activist
Recently posted about upgrading my cichlid tank, I Change mind and now putting parrot cichlids(colored) in my 55g. How many would be food for a 55 gallon tank.

Mike4242 said:
Recently posted about upgrading my cichlid tank, I Change mind and now putting parrot cichlids(colored) in my 55g. How many would be food for a 55 gallon tank.

Do you mean food or good???

I'd say maybe two, but I'm not sure. I've read they get up to ten inches long so I think two would be comfortable in there.

Also when you say colored...as in just the regular orange-pinkish coloration or like purple or green ones?

HUKIT said:
Are we talking about true parrots like Hoplarchus psittacus or the hybrid parrots?

True parrots my man. I was very surprised. My friend manages a pet store. Specializing in fish mainly fresh water. I was thinking 3

True parrots my man. I was very surprised. My friend manages a pet store. Specializing in fish mainly fresh water. I was thinking 3

I would stick with 2 at adult size or if your growing them out 4-5 but understand a 55g can't support them long term.

HUKIT said:
I would stick with 2 at adult size or if your growing them out 4-5 but understand a 55g can't support them long term.

Yea man. Im thinking a year tops and then putting them in a 125. I was thinking that would be able to hold 4. I was just worried that if I raise 2 and then add 2. Than they wouldn't react well with One another once put in the bigger tank

would the coloured ones be dyed?if so,please dont by them,dyeing fish is a cruel and inhumane process that should be illegal

alLexX said:
would the coloured ones be dyed?if so,please dont by them,dyeing fish is a cruel and inhumane process that should be illegal

They aren't dyed. All natural my man I'm not ok with animal abuse

Oh good - IMO the (Labiatum/Severum?) Hybrid is an atrocity and cruel and ugly in so many ways. those "parrots" ought to be illegal.

Back
Top Bottom