Patty and Johnnys new Juvenile Tiger Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Opinions needed! I'm getting a 75g for Max. He will be alone in it. Best filter? I want canister either Fluval or Eheim. I know I want at least 5-10gph so it's making me think I need like a G6, but holy crap those suckers are spensive! Thoughts?

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sunsun also makes a great quality filter at more affordable rate as well. On most my big tanks i run a sunsun 406uv in tandem with a fluval fx6.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sunsun 404 would do it with an ac 110 caching the rest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sunsun 404 would do it with an ac 110 caching the rest.

Thanks brooks. Hehe that's what i meant. I mixed my fluv n sunshine #'s.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That would be more manageable. So you think the others are basically more fancy than I need?

That would be more manageable. So you think the others are basically more fancy than I need?

Think the more expensive cans are simply built with better parts and components, mostly anyways. The sunsun's have all the power you'd need, they just require kid gloves when assembling and maintaining. It just leaves more money for other things.

It's official. I love this **** fish as much as my kids, dogs, cat. Same level. Max was sleeping and he got startled awake somehow (quiet room , which is probably why my reaction was even crazier). He does this a lot so I just watched him do his speed swim freak out flopping thing....until he flopped right out of the 1.25inch by 5 inch opening in the back of the hood. The stand this tank is on is sold wood so I'm talking at least 750 pounds right up against the wall. I'm up, I'm screaming for my husband, tears flying, can't even speak calmly. He thought my Mom died or I'd broken my back or something. Luckily I peeked behind the one corner I can see behind. There he was, not moving and covered in dust and cat hair. I freaked and tossed him in the tank. Crap is floating everywhere, so had to vac all that out. Did a big water change and added stress zyme. He's banged up but swimming around normally within a few minutes. Anything else I need to do? Temp is at 80. Husband is bringing me egg crates to patch the holes. Good grief...

It's official. I love this **** fish as much as my kids, dogs, cat. Same level. Max was sleeping and he got startled awake somehow (quiet room , which is probably why my reaction was even crazier). He does this a lot so I just watched him do his speed swim freak out flopping thing....until he flopped right out of the 1.25inch by 5 inch opening in the back of the hood. The stand this tank is on is sold wood so I'm talking at least 750 pounds right up against the wall. I'm up, I'm screaming for my husband, tears flying, can't even speak calmly. He thought my Mom died or I'd broken my back or something. Luckily I peeked behind the one corner I can see behind. There he was, not moving and covered in dust and cat hair. I freaked and tossed him in the tank. Crap is floating everywhere, so had to vac all that out. Did a big water change and added stress zyme. He's banged up but swimming around normally within a few minutes. Anything else I need to do? Temp is at 80. Husband is bringing me egg crates to patch the holes. Good grief...

Wow, must have been scary. I don't know what I would do if that happened to one of my fish, I have the same thing with a heavy stand right up at the wall with a small gap in the back. I think I'm going to have to cover the holes in my lid pretty soon, I don't want any flopping fish.
We all love our fish a lot, you're not alone!

Egg cartons were so easy. I feel like a bad Mom. Live and learn.

Ok I've gotten this sun sun canister. Never had one before. There are four levels for media with what looks like cheap blue filter foam in each. What would you guys recommend to customize this better? I've added the AC 110 to my 55g to start it cycling, and the stand should be here this week. I'm wanting to reinforce the stand also. Anyone ever done that? I will post pics when I have it all set up. Toys!!!

Hey Patty!
How's that monster doing?
I'm not sure if the sunsun flows bottom up or top down but what I do is this
Water flow in -> coarse sponge in first tray then medium and last fine in 2nd tray. Then the rest of the space/trays would be bio media -> water flow back to tank.
If you use any other stuff like charcoal that would go before the bio media.
Now I have learned from these forums that someone is going to say I'm doing it wrong so I'm not going to say my way is the only way but I have never had a problem. I have never had a ammonia, nitrite or nitrate problem.
Hope this helps a little.
Mike

I run sun sun like mike said! A new stand for a new 55 or 75? What type stand?

Thanks Mike! He's getting BIG! He was hard to get netted to move to the 75. Lol! I ordered the stand off petco site. It's a black upright by aquatic fundamentals. They claim it holds a 75 but there are no specs about weight limit listed.

Ok this thing runs bottom up. I have peat moss and lava rock that I want to add. Which tray would you add these to?

From bottom I would do the coarse sponge in the 1st, then the medium with the fine sponge on top of it in the 2nd, then the peat in the 3d and lava in the top. I'm assuming you are using the lava for bio media,.

Yes, way cheaper than pumice stone. Thought I'd try it. Thanks Mike.

Well, moved Max out into the living room so he gets to see a lot more of everything. I think it was scary for him at first, but he adjusted. I'm still concerned about his size being only 8 inches but he was a petsmart purchase and he looks and acts healthy otherwise. His tank looks so empty and boring but he's banged himself up when I've had anything in there with him. The ping pong balls have long since lost his interest, lol.

Back
Top Bottom