Paul's 38 gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Made up a little collage of some of my zoanthids in my tank. All taken under actinics. :)

0Boat8v.jpg

I bow down to your photograph skills!!! Very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks guys! I think I came a long way using what I have. All I shoot with is this little Canon PowerShot Elph1000HS, cost me about $80 new. :) That and adjusting color balance some more using the Pixlr online app, completely free.

y8c8z4u.jpg

I don't know the names of all of them, but do know most of these. Can't actually edit the pic right now because wifey is hogging the CPU and if it's aquarium related, it can wait! LOL. So here is a list.

0Boat8v.jpg

(from left to right)

Top row- Lunar Eclipse, Red Hornets, unidentified pink paly, Kryptonites, Orange Bam-Bams.

Bottom row- unidentified zoas, Green Bay Packers, Fire & Ice, unidentified zoas, Reverse Gorilla Nipples.

Hey Paul, how often do you do water changes on your tank? and do you dose chemicals?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey Paul, how often do you do water changes on your tank? and do you dose chemicals?

I don's have an exact schedule with water changes. I do at least a 10-15 gallon WC once a month minimum. Sometimes more frequently. I would recommend doing more than this on your new tank BTW. Mine ha been pretty stable. I do not dose any chemicals besides calcium because sometimes the IO Reef Crystals is a hair lower than what I like to have. Other than that once in a while I put in a few drops of Brightwell Aquatics KoralColor in (encourages biochrome production) in. I cannot say if this product has actually helped in coloration of my corals, but I picked up a 500ml bottle from my LFS to try out so I use it everynow and again. Also I will add some aquavitro eight.four if the pH changes on me. This product also raises carbonate alkalinity. This product does do what it says. I only use it when my pH gets a little lower than normal. Besides those things, nothing. I do keep a bottle of Seachem Prime to kinda rinse my hands off with before sticking them in the tank for any reason because It seems I do tend to wash my hands a lot throughout the day and I don't want any chlorine getting into my tank.-I use RO water.

I've been thinking of adding Kalkwasser to my top-off to eliminate the need to dose calcium, alkalinity, or pH buffer. Seems pretty simple and cheaper than my current way. Plus its only 1 product verses 2.

I don's have an exact schedule with water changes. I do at least a 10-15 gallon WC once a month minimum. Sometimes more frequently. I would recommend doing more than this on your new tank BTW. Mine ha been pretty stable. I do not dose any chemicals besides calcium because sometimes the IO Reef Crystals is a hair lower than what I like to have. Other than that once in a while I put in a few drops of Brightwell Aquatics KoralColor in (encourages biochrome production) in. I cannot say if this product has actually helped in coloration of my corals, but I picked up a 500ml bottle from my LFS to try out so I use it everynow and again. Also I will add some aquavitro eight.four if the pH changes on me. This product also raises carbonate alkalinity. This product does do what it says. I only use it when my pH gets a little lower than normal. Besides those things, nothing. I do keep a bottle of Seachem Prime to kinda rinse my hands off with before sticking them in the tank for any reason because It seems I do tend to wash my hands a lot throughout the day and I don't want any chlorine getting into my tank.-I use RO water.

OK thanks Paul. That helps me understand. I just want to provide the best for my new tank when it's up and runging.

Ok, so it's been a little while since I've updated. Not much has changed really except for an increase in bubble algae. :ermm: However there is some growth going on as well in almost all coral. Some of my newest zoas have grew some more heads as well as noticeable growth on my Red Digitata and Pink Pocilopora. Santa didn't bring me anything aquarium related this year besides some rowa-phos. I'm just gonna have to wait on the tank upgrade. The Ruby Red Dragonets are still doing fantastic as well as the Harlequin Shrimp. For now here are some photos I took today of some growth that I have noticed as well as a FTS (excuse the algae popping up).

Q2zkXzx.jpg

jQsabHW.jpg

NAeutSJ.jpg

VPJyHz5.jpg

UTxLr3T.jpg

Thinks look pretty nice man. What lighting are you using? So many builds being followed I can't keep them straight anymore. Either way, why are you ashamed of having bubble algae? I have a ton more algae in my tank. As long as it isn't overwhelming corals a little algae never hurt anything.

Thinks look pretty nice man. What lighting are you using? So many builds being followed I can't keep them straight anymore. Either way, why are you ashamed of having bubble algae? I have a ton more algae in my tank. As long as it isn't overwhelming corals a little algae never hurt anything.

Thanks man. I have a Chinese 120w LED panel made by Xen-Lux. The bubble algae just frustrates me, I guess just kind of an eyesore. It does seen to like it on my powerheads and around corals though. Just noticed it was getting worse. Need to do a water change very soon anyways, Ill pull as much out as I can then.

Cleaned tank a little today. Picked out a lot of bubble algae (all that I seen). Noticed my harlequin peeking out of a cave so decided to feed her an arm. LOL. I got her on video dragging it into her liar. Ill have it up soon. Here is a quick shot of her before I fed her.

RgsYTVi.jpg

The video is up, check it out here. I apologize in advance for the lens reflection, I didn't notice it at the time.

Here at some more photos of coral growth along with one of my impossible to photograph Orchid Dottyback.

Pg6AtnV.jpg

21gwJUE.jpg

6ujFJ45.jpg

OV8I205.jpg

GMpxwUf.jpg

p7TdbIe.jpg

lgFbr6R.jpg

Beautiful photos as always Paul! I love the orchid dottyback. Definitely on my list when I upgrade. :)

Beautiful photos as always Paul! I love the orchid dottyback. Definitely on my list when I upgrade. :)

Thanks! I love that little fish. Has never had an attitude like most dottybacks are known for. My clowns and wrasse kinda boss him around. LOL

Paul what is that green coral underneath the zoas? I like the way it grows, and it has some crazy long sweepers!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom