Pea puffer help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skibum3

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i have a pea puffer and have had him for about a month and i dont think he is doing too well. I tried feeding flake food, and he took one bite and spat it out. The same for the freeze dried foods.
So i got some snails for him and he seems interested, but all he does is stare at them, peck at it, and then continue staring. He doesn't keep attacking and eat it! I tried feeding him one that i popped out of its shell but he again took one bite and spat it out.
He is so skinny!! Help!!!!

Whenever i click the link it takes me to a blank page ... Which is why i haven't posted a reply in it... so i figured i would just ask again

The one I had loved live black worms and all kinds of frozen foods. I tried the snail thing but like what happened with you, it never ended up being much more than a stare off.

Also try frozen clams on a half shell. It was nice because you could leave it in there a long time and let him eat it slowly.

Have you tried brine shrimp or scuds. Moving food made my pick dp eat

Thanks everyone. I will try all these ideas today!!

Even the most adaptable pea puffers won't (and shouldn't) eat flake or freeze dried. Live or frozen snails, clams, worms, shrimp are your best bet. If you crack/crush the snail or clam's shell right before putting it in then the smell should help perk his interest.

Really finely minced fish/clams/squid/etc from your seafood department at the grocery store may work as well. Shelled stuff is best for their teeth and overall health, but in the interest of him not starving get him going on anything he'll eat for now and then work up to shelled.

Back
Top Bottom