Peacock Eel in 20G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never make complicated aquascapes, but I have done a lot of java ferns, anubias nana, and various crypts. They don't get too tall. My tanks also insist on growing java moss like nobody's business, so I end up with that stuck around too and my current dojos love sitting in it.

Aaaah I see. So Java ferns and a few Amazon Swords in the back. I think I'll put one or two Moss balls just for my shrimp, I actually don't know what that does for them but I guess they like it. But I'll make it a very dense place so they hide in the plants and I can see them more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would more like 8-10 at least. They actually have a pretty small bioload comparable to their size, and they are a species where more is better. 5-6 would be a good place to start.
By the way, you may have known this already, but the striped kuhli and the black kuhli are 2 different species. I have found they will coexist and interact just fine, but they prefer the company of their own species. Personally, I prefer the colors of the striped kuhli though I tend to see the black kuhli more commonly available.

Do you think having a Powder Blue Gourami, 6-9 Kuhli's, 2 long-fin zebra danios, 5 black-skirt tetra's, and some ghost shrimp would have too much bio-load in the tank?
If so what do you think I should remove? I already have all of those fish except the Kuhli's of course.

Zebra Danios should be in groups of 6 plus. They are super zippy and may annoy the gourami.

Skirt Tetras are nippy. 6 or more. But I find them very nippy.

I like Lemon Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, Cherry Barbs, or other calm schooling fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421496329.021087.jpg

I just got a peacock eel last night from my LFS I can keep you updated how how well he eats and hides if you are still interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Anyone have any thoughts of having a Peacock Eel in a 20 Gallon tank? It's 30"L; 12"W; 18.5"H w/ PFS substrate and live plants.

That's a 29 gallon OP.

I have also found the skirt tetra to be rather nippy. They are gorgeous though. As a potential alternative, I suggest the diamond tetra, lemon tetra, or bleeding heart tetra. Similar body size and shape, but I have better experiences with them. A lot of people seem to have very good luck with the skirt tetras in communities though. I suppose it just depends. Up to you if you want to try it.
Personally, I am not just not a huge fan of zebra danios. They are kamikaze swimmers and can annoy slower moving fish. That is another time though where YMMV. Up to you if you want to try it. A lot of time it works our great. Depends on the personality of your gourami though. I like the harlequin rasbora for a calmer fish that swims decently high in the tank.
Up to you though. :)

I have also found the skirt tetra to be rather nippy. They are gorgeous though. As a potential alternative, I suggest the diamond tetra, lemon tetra, or bleeding heart tetra. Similar body size and shape, but I have better experiences with them. A lot of people seem to have very good luck with the skirt tetras in communities though. I suppose it just depends. Up to you if you want to try it.
Personally, I am not just not a huge fan of zebra danios. They are kamikaze swimmers and can annoy slower moving fish. That is another time though where YMMV. Up to you if you want to try it. A lot of time it works our great. Depends on the personality of your gourami though. I like the harlequin rasbora for a calmer fish that swims decently high in the tank.
Up to you though. :)

Aaaah OK, thanks!
Maybe I'll keep the fish I have now in the 20 gallon tank.
Do you think I can put a few gouramis together if I have it is quite planted??

In general, I would so no. In reality, it depends on the individual personalities. I know that is a vague answer, but gouramis can vary so much that it is hard to flat out say what will or won't work. Typically, I would suggest a much larger tank to attempt to mix gouramis of the same gender. If you can mix genders, that it is a different story. However, female dg are very tough to find. I pretty much never see them available. They tend to have less coloration, and so they don't make it into the pet trade as much.

In general, I would so no. In reality, it depends on the individual personalities. I know that is a vague answer, but gouramis can vary so much that it is hard to flat out say what will or won't work. Typically, I would suggest a much larger tank to attempt to mix gouramis of the same gender. If you can mix genders, that it is a different story. However, female dg are very tough to find. I pretty much never see them available. They tend to have less coloration, and so they don't make it into the pet trade as much.

Oh ok then, well do you know of any other types of fish that look like (full-bodied fish) gouramis or cichlids that get along and would be fine in a 45 gallon tank?

Back
Top Bottom