Peacock eel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Any info on these? I have a planted 40g with many hiding spots and water flow. Do they uproot plants? Food requirments?

Ive had a peacock eel for a little while now and yes he does borrow himself, what type of substrate do you have? We have gravel and he's never completely up-rooted any plants but I do think he's making them a little looser which I notice when cleaning, but I'm not sure it's him since I have a few others that burrow. Our peacock eel has gotten so used to us feeding him he actually takes blood worms out of a syringe I use to feed him every night, he comes right up to it when he sees me come in the water with it. They are very neat, I think anyone would enjoy them.

Illusion447 said:
Ive had a peacock eel for a little while now and yes he does borrow himself, what type of substrate do you have? We have gravel and he's never completely up-rooted any plants but I do think he's making them a little looser which I notice when cleaning, but I'm not sure it's him since I have a few others that burrow. Our peacock eel has gotten so used to us feeding him he actually takes blood worms out of a syringe I use to feed him every night, he comes right up to it when he sees me come in the water with it. They are very neat, I think anyone would enjoy them.

Awesome!!! Would he be able to live in a 40 gal? I have eco complete, and am planning on heavily planting. Does he ever eat small fish? Can he eat pellets too? And arent they escape artists? Thanks SO MUCH for the help...if you cant tell im REALLY excited

I have a 6 in. Peacock eel in my 37 gallon tank. They are semi nocturnal so I feed mine at night before I turn the tank light off. I feed my eel frozen blood worms and baby fry sinking pellets. The peacock eel would be fine in the 40 gallon tank until it gets way to big!

FreshwaterTropical said:
I have a 6 in. Peacock eel in my 37 gallon tank. They are semi nocturnal so I feed mine at night before I turn the tank light off. I feed my eel frozen blood worms and baby fry sinking pellets. The peacock eel would be fine in the 40 gallon tank until it gets way to big!

Will it get bigger than 6" in captivity? And pellets work? Do you see yours often enough for it to be worth it? And eco complete would be fine right?
I have a powerhead for water flow, do they like it? And they like temp to be 75-80?

They get about 10" long and I feed mine pellets and it likes them, I also feed frozen blood worms once a week. Variety of diet is good. Your substrate should be good with it, it will burrow. It is defiantly worth it they are really cool!

FreshwaterTropical said:
They get about 10" long and I feed mine pellets and it likes them, I also feed frozen blood worms once a week. Variety of diet is good. Your substrate should be good with it, it will burrow. It is defiantly worth it they are really cool!

Wow i would love one, but wouldnt be able to give it up when it got big!!! What will you do with yours? Thatll be a sad day!

Yes it would be sad hopefully a larger tank! Maybe you could get a smaller eel like tire track eel?

No defiantly don't get that. They grow to like 2 and a half feet! Not sure about smaller eels.

I've heard and read they will only get to about 6 inches, we have ours in a 38 now with many other fish and they are all doing great! I'm not sure about the pellets I've never fed them to mine and I'm not even sure if he eats left over fish flakes that sink to the bottom, I feed mine blood worms everynight. I have to do it out of the syringe because all the othet fish will eat them all before they even make it to the eel, so I fed him and my African dwarf frog the same way. Ours is out swimming around the tank all the time even during the day when they are supposed to be nocturnal he's out all the time swimming around the whole tank. I'm not sure what Eco complete is but I think they'd be fine with the extra water flow they are pretty hardy fish. And yes that temp sounds to be pretty good we keep ours at 76-78.
Here's our peacock eel:)

Attachments

• image-3882641731.jpg
    image-3882641731.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 130
  • image-670505464.jpg
    image-670505464.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 104
  • image-2629623429.jpg
    image-2629623429.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 120
Yea! Maybe! Problem is 40 g is biggest i can get untill im on my own. Plus im worried it might uproot plants. Last worry, he will escape and die!! ;(;(

Yes peacock eels are able to jump out. You would probably be fine having one in your tank. I have a net over the empty space on my lid so it doesn't jump out! My eel eats the pellets and I also feed him with a turkey baster! For the blood worms. If they uproot plants I would be surprised. I think they stay away from plants probably.

Illusion447 said:
I've heard and read they will only get to about 6 inches, we have ours in a 38 now with many other fish and they are all doing great! I'm not sure about the pellets I've never fed them to mine and I'm not even sure if he eats left over fish flakes that sink to the bottom, I feed mine blood worms everynight. I have to do it out of the syringe because all the othet fish will eat them all before they even make it to the eel, so I fed him and my African dwarf frog the same way. Ours is out swimming around the tank all the time even during the day when they are supposed to be nocturnal he's out all the time swimming around the whole tank. I'm not sure what Eco complete is but I think they'd be fine with the extra water flow they are pretty hardy fish. And yes that temp sounds to be pretty good we keep ours at 76-78.
Here's our peacock eel:)

Your eel is amazing, i want one so badly. And bloodworms out a syringe? Care to explain how that works? I am so excited and have learned alot. Glad we didnt impulsivly buy one when we saw one and i posted a thread here!!!! So overall, think i should get one? If they get over 6" then i might have to give him away but ill take the risk. Are they hardy fish?

FreshwaterTropical said:
Yes peacock eels are able to jump out. You would probably be fine having one in your tank. I have a net over the empty space on my lid so it doesn't jump out! My eel eats the pellets and I also feed him with a turkey baster! For the blood worms. If they uproot plants I would be surprised. I think they stay away from plants probably.

Nice!!!! Post pics i cant wait to see them. Its sounding like i might get one..!!!!!!

Yes bloodworms! I melt the frozen bloodworms cubes in a cup of tank water. Suck it up into the syringe and stick it in the bottom of the tank. Make sure the worms get onto the substrate and into the eels mouth. They are hardy and you should def. Get one! How much does your LFS sell them for? I bought my eel for $8?

How do you feed him if hes in a cave or his mouth isnt exposed? And there not agressive right? Also, my bro saw them but im assuming under 10 here. Thanks so much for all the info again bro!

Just point the food at it. It will roam the tank for nothing after the light is off usually. It will eat don't worry that much about it eating.

Thanks we do love him so much he's really neat to watch! After I defrost the bloodworms I add a little of their water to it and just suck them up with like a medicine dropper type syringe and he slowly takes them out I put it pretty much right in front of his face and squirt some on the ground where he is. I let him eat them out of the syringe for a little while since all the other fish try to eat them all so quickly. He gets very excited when he sees it come into the tank I think because he knows it's pretty much just for him. I don't think you'd have to give him away I've heard and seen that they only get to 6 inches they do get a bit wider too as they get older but I don't think too much larger than 6 inches. And yes he's a pretty hardy fish, I've read this aswell from others posts.

They are pretty hardy and you probably could keep him in the same tank. Don't worry right after you get it. It might burrow, and hide a lot but after a few weeks it will become a lot more active and you will see it all the time.

Awesome im ifficially getting one. They are 10:99 but definatly gettin one..heck i might get one now

Back
Top Bottom