Peacock eel!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes it has its pretty calm keeps to itself lounges with my kuhli loaches and rope fish as for the black worm i see where your coming from but 90% of my fish are wild caught so try to keep there diet live....been feeding live foods for 16 months and no issues i guess luck of the draw....keep up with you eel it will perk up and come around try a feeding cone and place it in a area you see it tends to frequents i use it for my worms and my eel comes up to it looking for food and hangs out close to it

I can't even see my eel. It's completely buried. :( so I don't even know where to drop food for it. I was hoping it would would find the ghost shrimp. My angelfish certainly like the shrimp. :-/

yeah mine digs itself in there good to where you only see its snout and eyes sticking out the sand...

Just an update... The eel stayed buried for about a month. During that time I tried feeding it ghost shrimp, bloodworms and krill. I couldn't tell if it ever ate during that time but it would change location from time to time. Finally one day, it decided to come out and swim around while the lights were on! :) It's been out swimming everyday since! And today, before turning on the lights, I fed it some bloodworms and actually saw it eat. Yay!!! I had seriously been questioning why anyone would want one of these fish, when it seemed like all they do is stay buried. It's so nice to actually see it!

That's great news Hholly!
I think it's just the nature of the spiney eel species to be quite timid at first, that's why alot of them don't make it.
The ones that do though IME are bulletproof. Thanks for the update!

Yes, they are interesting fish. My LFS got a shipment in a few weeks ago. I could've watched the tank for hours.

Just an update... The eel stayed buried for about a month. During that time I tried feeding it ghost shrimp, bloodworms and krill. I couldn't tell if it ever ate during that time but it would change location from time to time. Finally one day, it decided to come out and swim around while the lights were on! :) It's been out swimming everyday since! And today, before turning on the lights, I fed it some bloodworms and actually saw it eat. Yay!!! I had seriously been questioning why anyone would want one of these fish, when it seemed like all they do is stay buried. It's so nice to actually see it!

The most nerve racking thing about these great fish is the beginning. I've had a few tire tracks and just got a fire eel for my 55. He swims around in plain site all day hangs out in the rocks and driftwood and seems happy but doesn't eat. You just realize it'll take time

Back
Top Bottom