Peacock eel!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok here is my crash course with a tire track eel it took about 3 weeks or longer to get it to eat live black worms are its favorite ghost shrimp also but i can get it to red wigglers every now and then...its a picky bugger as for hand feeding it that is a trust thing start by being close to it when you do rearrange stuff in the tank it will get adapted to you there to a point of trust...after you know what it likes to eat then try and try again till you hand feed....as for the escaping i have many fish that are prone but keep them happy and feed you got a good chance they will stick around

good luck

abstract373 said:
Ok here is my crash course with a tire track eel it took about 3 weeks or longer to get it to eat live black worms are its favorite ghost shrimp also but i can get it to red wigglers every now and then...its a picky bugger as for hand feeding it that is a trust thing start by being close to it when you do rearrange stuff in the tank it will get adapted to you there to a point of trust...after you know what it likes to eat then try and try again till you hand feed....as for the escaping i have many fish that are prone but keep them happy and feed you got a good chance they will stick around

good luck

Thanks a lot! I'll keep trying.

remember it can be stressed from the change of scene plus you dont know how long they had them at the lfs so that can be more stress on top of you bringing it home...
if you dont mind what else do you have with it and how big is this eel mine is now over 10 inches hard to measure it

There are some cories in the tank which are very active. I'm thinking of moving them to a different tank because they're so hyper. There are also angels, and a bristlenose pleco and a clown pleco. The eel is about 5 inches.

There are some cories in the tank which are very active. I'm thinking of moving them to a different tank because they're so hyper. There are also angels, and a bristlenose pleco and a clown pleco. The eel is about 5 inches.

The easiest way possible to get it to eat is to throw in about 50+ live Ghost Shrimp. If he sees them he will eat them guaranteed. Try some beef heart and krill. When getting an Eel you should be prepared to try tons of different foods. You should also throw a few earthworms in there.

I can't tell. It's still alive. It may have eaten some bloodworms the other night. I'm planning to find some ghost shrimp tomorrow.

Don't give up. My baby tt eel wouldn't eat at first then actually disappeared for almost 3months. I thought he escaped and the dogs got him. Well one day he magically reappeared as if to say "ok I'm done with the cold shoulder bit, gimme somethin to eat"
He ate the very first earthworm I presented him and has been doing fine ever since! The point I'm trying to make is, they can go an extremely long time without eating so keep trying!

Wow! Ok. Good to know! Thanks! Does anybody know if they'll eat meal worms? I tried feeding a few and so far, no dice.

I had a ball python escape for 3 months, one time. They can go a long time without eating too. I finally found it wrapped around the dryer tub. The dryer wouldn't turn and I found my long lost snake. :)

I've heard of others trying mealworms with no success. I would try a small live earthworm or red wigglers. Vanimals ghost shrimp method may work also. Everyone I've talked to has had success with either of the above at first and then it seems most eels gradually accept other things as well.

They can reach 12". I think opinions are mixed on the necessity of sand. So far, mine is dealing with my graveled tank.

Well if thats the case I may just see if I can track down a zig zag eel since they only reach about 7"

And im sure my gravel should be fine.. its all rounded smooth pebbles so it could still burrow without fear of it injuring itself

mine only eats live food like black worms ghost shrimp and small guppies ...
It took a while before it at loves its black worms when it dont have them it gets mean....So since were talking eel since my last post here i bought a leopard eel any 1 have info on these guys cant find any...no pic yet its been hiding out

Scary... liveaquaria lists them at 7" but I know you can't really believe all that you read... scratch the zig zag lol

That is really odd, normally I suggest checking live aquaria because they're generally pretty close to stating actual fish needs, I've check them hundreds of times or more. They used to sell peacock eels too so maybe it's just a typo on their part. But it is true that you can't believe everything you read, I've heard that tire track eels got much larger before so I just quick google searched them to double check before I said anything, but of course we would have to hear from someone who has kept them for many years

Back
Top Bottom