peacock vs mbuna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zecolmeia

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently am setting up a 40 breeder. I can't decide between the two. I do know I want colorful fish. I have a filter her that can handle a heavy load so I'd like to have a decent amount of fish. I know what I'd have with mbuna but not peacock. Please let me know which and how to stock a peacock tank. Also, I don't plan on breeding so I've read all male peacocks might work.

You don't generally overstock a peacock tank. The biggest problem that people have is the dominant male ( show male) will show full and bright colors. The other males (sub dominant) won't look near as nice but still nice for the most part. If you look up profiles for a peacock most of the time they will show you a juvenile, sub dominant and a show male picture.

So whats a max number of peacocks in there. I will be adding a bn pleco in there as well. And I read that what ever the number picks males different in color.

Zecolmeia said:
So whats a max number of peacocks in there. I will be adding a bn pleco in there as well. And I read that what ever the number picks males different in color.

I have never had an all peacock tank but I know the numbers are generally lower. So I'd probably aim for 8-10 with a few yellow labs

20121012_201521.jpg

So heres my set up i literally just finished. Live rock etc. What do you think?
And so 8-10 peacock 2 labs and pleco is good?

Zecolmeia said:
So heres my set up i literally just finished. Live rock etc. What do you think?
And so 8-10 peacock 2 labs and pleco is good?

That's nice! The light is a little to bright what bulbs are you using? Or maybe its just the picture. Anyhow it sounds and looks good to me. Make sure when you pick the peacocks you look up the profiles to match aggression.

Its the picture. What do you think about an electric blue crayfish? Just saw them, know nothing about em. And the labs... Male also?

Its the picture im pretty sure. Know anything about an electric blue crayfish? Saw it and looks nice. Will he fit? Also any suggestions on quality online purchases of peacocks if lfs cant get em?

Depending on the size of the fish a crayfish is cabable of killing and eating a small fish. I put crays in my mbuna tank before and they didnt last long. All i found were empty peices of crayfish shells.

Nice tank you got there.

An all male peacock tank would look stunning. Search firefish and jacobfreibergi they are great looking peacocks too.

I think yellow labs should be fine, I've had mine for years now with peacock without any problem. You are right about not getting the same color male.

So I have 2 yellow labs
1 firefish
1 sunshine
1 jacobfriebergi (unsure of color)
Longfin pleco

What are some other suggestions

Ngara flame tail, lemon jake, otter point, dragon blood, red empress, yellow blaze.. them are some good ones to look up and a good start to researching what you want in your tank..

Back
Top Bottom