persistant clouding of water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LjGar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OKay... so we had a little issue with our ammonia levels last week that caused our water to cloud up quite a bit. Now, after a series of water changes and treatments, our water is testing perfectly, but is still much cloudier than I would like. Is there anything that I can do to resolve this problem? I currently have a 60gal hexagonal tank, with a whisper filter, containing a needlenose gar, an opaline gaurami, a gold gaurami, a black knife fish, an H-Line cat, three black skirt tetras, and a tiretrack eel. I lost my most beloved dragon fish when the ammonia levels went up, and as of now am very concerned with adding any more chemicals to the water, and consequently I have no clue how to fix the clouding. Any help??

Could be a bacteria bloom caused by the temporary high ammonia. Try reducing your feeding amount for a few days. Uneaten food contributes to the bio load of your already taxed system. I'm guessing it will go away in a few days.

Mark

From your posting , I assume your tank is fairly newly set-up , and i would agree it is probably a bacterial bloom, it should clear up without harm to your fish, just be patient in addition to the earlier suggestions! :lol:

Yes, it is a new set up.. been running for about 3 and half weeks. Thanks for the advice, it's much appriciated. :D

My personal option is that is an awful lot of fish to have in a tank that is just starting out.

Yeah, the number of fish was actually a large concern of mine. I worked in a really great privately owned pet store for a very long time, and really learned a lot about aquariums.. that was 2 years ago however, so I'm a having to re-learn a lot of it. My signifigant other had kept several aquariums as well, and we'd decided to start this one together. So despite the fact that this is a horrible thing to do, I blame the early stocking of the tank on his persuasion. :oops: I have, however, after this experienced convinced him to leave everything as it is for at least 2 months until our system is better established. Thanks again for all the help.. I'm very pleased that there's somewhere as efficient as this forum.

I just wanted to let everyone know that the water cleared and the ammonia levels stabalized. :) However, our tiretrack eel is missing.. I upturned all the rocks to see if maybe he was hiding, but he wasn't to be found. I'm afraid that he may have been eaten. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom