PH Fluctuation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psylk87

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so I just finished cycling my tank.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10-20 its so hard to tell on the chart.

PH tonight is 8.2

Lastnight it was 8.0

(Others for lastnight were Ammonia:0 (dosed back up to 4ppm after test), Nitrites: 0-0.25, Nitrates 10-20)

The tank is planted.

Is it normal for PH to fluctuate just a bit during/after a cycle? 8.0 is pretty standard for my water here. I plan to do a water change but should I be worried? Is this the start of my cycle crashing?

I am new to water chemistry and actually testing with a water kit. (AP Test Kit) Before this I always just used the strips. This is also my first fishless cycle. I have a feeling I am going to drive myself mad with the water chemistry.

Minor pH changes aren't really bad for fish as long as it stays out of extreme ranges. Most tap water will have a pH shift 24-48h after being added to a tank.

Your tap water may have elevated CO2 in it, which eventually out-gasses, thus the pH increase.

What is your location?

David

Your pH level is OK, your fish will adjust to it as long as it doesn't get way out of range. IMO you can leave it alone and worry about one less parameter.

Your tap water may have elevated CO2 in it, which eventually out-gasses, thus the pH increase.

What is your location?

David

I am in Kansas.

Thank you everyone else. I am still gonna do that water change but I feel much better knowing that a little flucuation is normal and safe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom