Ph level too high in new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We just did a 20 gallon change w water that had correct levels yesterday. We got it from the aquarium place. Do u still suggest prime & complete change?

What ate some suggestions for people who are just starting out? I know some are more sensitive to water levels than others, non aggressive etc

Omg I feel like such an idiot!!! Just looked up fish/ fish less cycles. Oh goodness I have a looooooong way to go before I know what the heck I'm doing.

Relax!! Your in good hands here on AA! I am going to post a guide below to starting a freshwater aquarium. It has links to both fishless and fishin cycling with great articles on the process. Lets start with this and ask any questions you may! For right now, do not worry about your ph. The large majority of us have 'city' (public) water supplies and keep fish without an issue but a good water conditioner such as Prime will be a must. You will need to take things one step at a time and understanding how aquariums work to keep fish healthy (the 'nitrogen cycle') is step one. Ask away with questions!! :)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

We just did a 20 gallon change w water that had correct levels yesterday. We got it from the aquarium place. Do u still suggest prime & complete change?

Follow jlks article and when you feel ready do the 100% waterchange, do it. Then start your preferred cycling process
Fish in -
Pros) You get fish right away
Cons) lots of waterchanges
Only get enough BB for your fish. Stock slowly.

Fishless-
Pros) stock everything at once
Huge BB colony
Only do 1 waterchange
Cons) no fish
Have to test water a lot
Have to dose

Here's where we stand w the tank. Did the PH test several times yesterday and still go results ranging from 7.4 - 8.8. So I called and spoke with the lady at the LFS and she said what she thought was happening is the 10 gallons of water that we did not change out had buffered the 20 gallons of the water we bought from her. She said we have 2 options, 1 use PH down drops, but she said that is not a long term solution and it may not hold the PH levels and the higher levels we have been having could kill fish if we out them in the tank and have this issue again. Option 2 would clearly be to dump and start all over w only the filtered water. I know a lot of people have been saying LFS people can often lie just to get a sale, but this is not the case with her. She has offered to only charge is for the 10 gallons since we already paid for 20 gallons and it did not work. I am getting ready to empty the tank out and will get the filtered water this evening. This had BETTER work!

Here's where we stand w the tank. Did the PH test several times yesterday and still go results ranging from 7.4 - 8.8. So I called and spoke with the lady at the LFS and she said what she thought was happening is the 10 gallons of water that we did not change out had buffered the 20 gallons of the water we bought from her. She said we have 2 options, 1 use PH down drops, but she said that is not a long term solution and it may not hold the PH levels and the higher levels we have been having could kill fish if we out them in the tank and have this issue again. Option 2 would clearly be to dump and start all over w only the filtered water. I know a lot of people have been saying LFS people can often lie just to get a sale, but this is not the case with her. She has offered to only charge is for the 10 gallons since we already paid for 20 gallons and it did not work. I am getting ready to empty the tank out and will get the filtered water this evening. This had BETTER work!

Don't bother. Just use your tap water. Just use a good conditioner

Latest update. Went to LFS this evening and got the 30 gallons of filtered water. We are really lucky bc the LFS is a very small, family owned shop and they have been more than helpful. Since they previously told us to just replace 20 gallons with filtered water and it didn't work they didn't charge us ANYTHING for the 30 gallons we got today! So needless to say we are back at square one, just hopefully with better results. So far PH levels have been steady at 7.4. We will see if they stay that way! Thanks again for all of your help and advice!!

Back
Top Bottom