pH problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

today was the first time ive tested for pH in my life! I think i did everything right, but is looked like i have a pH of 7.4 instead of 8.2 , Im not sure if I matched the color of the water with the color on the card. There are not that much different. Give me your advice on what you think I should do.

thanks

What is your SG? Do you have your tank covered? We need a bit more info. I would suggest testing it again and if you get the same results get a different kind of test kit and test it again. How long has this tank been up? What all do you have in the tank right now?

the sg is between 1.024 and 1.025. as of now the tank is covered but that can easily be changed. temp at 82 degrees. the tank has been up for about two months but has sat just with fresh water the first month. In the tank there is 16 lbs base rock 20 lbs live sand 90 lbs aragonite sand, 1 powerhead 110GPH, 150W heater, and hydrometer. have not retested water yet.

what size tank is it? It seems to me like you do not have anywhere near enough lr if you have a 55 gal.

as of now i have no "live" rock but i am in the process of purchasing it. will this have an effect of pH?

Try taking the cover off of your tank for a day, then test the pH. You might find it higher. Closed systems tend to trap CO2 and not allow for enough O2 exchange, which will cause pH to go down.

I have the covers off now and will test again tomorrow. If this does not work would you reccomend that i add "proper pH 8.2", or will that mess up my tank down the road?
Does the addition of live rock help maintain a pH of 8.2?

I personally don't like adding things to my tank other then salt mix and water. With the tank uncovered you should see your PH go up. It may be lower then 8.2-8.4 for a while but it will stablize as your tank matures. I would have a power head agitate the surface of the water a bit and that will help with the O2 exchange.

I agree, keep the lid off and point a ph toward the surface, for more ripple. Also, keep in mind pH will swing between lighs off/on, so test around the same time to get a more consistant reading.

I agree that going without the glass cover and more surface aggitation will be a big push in the right direction. Also a PWC will help also with buffering your water.

What is your alkalinity?

Those products that raise your pH are really just temporary fixes. In reality, they are alkalinity supplements for tanks with low pH. I would steer clear unless you have an alkalinity problem.

i dont have an alkalinity tester.... but i havent added anything to the water besides the salt.

its almost 7:00 so i re-tested pH and it is still at 7.8!!!!!! why is this so discouraging!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! help plzzz

I would get an alkalinity test. This could definitely be the source of your problem.

Is the tank cycled? If so how, when, and what is your ammonia source since there is nothing in it? What is the turnover of the tank (GPH)?

My tank has not been cycled yet, but do you need it to be cycled to test your pH reading? I am NOO expert at what im doing. Right now it is turned over twice an hour. I purchased four more powerheads aand will add three of them to the tank.

During your cycle pH will swing. I wouldn't worry about it right now. Once your cycle is complete, recheck and we can go from there.

Since nothing is in the tank and it has not cycled the PH should be fine. However w/ two times and hour turnover it's no surprise it's not. You need to increase that by 5x to be at the minimum of whats recommended for SW/reefs. Increasing the turnover will allow gas exchange between the tank and the air in the room. Lack of gas exchange leads to excessive amounts of CO2 accumulating in the water. That drives PH down. Increase the flow, then cycle, then monitor PH. As said PH will be low during the cycle due to the amount of acids being produced.
I purchased four more powerheads aand will add three of them to the tank.
Good. Point one or two so that they disturb the surface of the water. Surface agitation allows for better gas exchange.

so i dont need to worry about pH until im going to add fish?

will low pH hurt liverock im going to purchase?

Back
Top Bottom