ph question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjones376

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok here's my setup 55gal 1 aquaclear 70 and a aqueon 50 adding a canister soon I have 3 Bala sharks 2 clown loaches 3 yellow labs 4 other cichlids can't remember the name they're a blue with black stripes and yellow on the dorsal fin and 2 koi angels my ph stays steady at 6.8-7.0 I know the cichlids like a higher ph I've done all kinds of research some say keep ph high some say the fish will adapt to it so my question is how much of a factor is the pH and if I pit crushed coral in a media bag and hung it in the tank would that help raise it?

try adding some rocks if there from outside boil them first they will rais it a little try to get ph about 7-7.5

Problem I see here is the loaches and angels are lower ph and the Africans are higher ph. I would leave the ph alone and work on a better stocking.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How's that stock working out? Reading your fish list raises red flags.

Balas are gonna need a bigger tank as they get older

125gal Waiting for C/A cichlids , 55gal African Cichlids , 75gal "wet pet "oscar , 75 gal empty setting up for ????10gal & 56gal column cycled but no stock

As of now my stock is doing good they all get along with each other tank has been up and running for just over 2 month's as for the balas yes I know they will outgrow the as will the loaches my lfs a already said he'd take them on trade once they get too big

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

try adding some rocks if there from outside boil them first they will rais it a little try to get ph about 7-7.5

You can't just grab any rock outside and expect the pH to go up, it needs to be SPECIFIC rocks like Limestone that will help buffer the pH; whereas a regular river rock will just be for decoration and has no real benefit to water quality. As for the stock, I'd re-think it and go with a group that has similar water requirements, rather than all over the place.

It's tough to give advice on pH when you have a stock like that. The Angels might have a tough time with too high a pH and also a tough time as well with the african cichlids, not sure how that mix will workout.

But anyway, to the topic... Crushed coral in a bag in the filter might bring the pH up a little.

+1 on the rocks, any rock from outside most likely will not do anything to the pH and please DO NOT boil rocks.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Those clown loaches are gonna need a way bigger tank, and theyre not going to appreciate high pH. I'm going to echo what others are saying, your stocking needs a lot of work. You've mixed a lot of fish that don't belong together in that tank for a lot of reasons- your african cichlids are very likely to bully all your other fish, and in particular your angelfish. Bala sharks and clown loaches get way too big for a 55. The loaches and angelfish want low pH, the african cichlids want high pH. No good solution that involves keeping all those fish in that tank.

Back
Top Bottom