photographing fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rodgey_p

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
how do you take photos of your fish in your aquariums? i have tried with my digital camera but i always seem to get blurred photos, or a bright reflection off the tank (when the flash is on). do you have any tips?
many thanks :)

#1 - Patience...you'll need a lot of this! Fish don't like to pose.
#2 - Use the largest aperture setting you can get...you can re-size later
#3 - You need something to keep your camera steady. A tri-pod is preferred.
#4 - Use macro and auto-focus settings.
#5 - Using the flash is what causes the reflection...the flash helps to quicken the shutter speed. You can use flash if you angle the camera slightly in the opposite direction, never directly head on.
#6 - Turn off all room lights.

Experimentation with your camera and subject will allow you to choose which is best for you. I have used both flash and non-flash to get pictures of my fish. Angels are difficult because they won't cooperate and stay at the top (which is the darkest part of the tank), so I use the flash for them.

using only the tank lights without a flash will help alot! If you don;t have a tripod, try resting your hands or the camera against something so you don;t have any movement. One thing I;ve found that helps is to hold the camera at different angels to get the right lighting. and be prepared to take alot of photos to get only 1 decent one :D

50 photos usually equals 1 keeper for me. I mess with the settings regularly. I use a monopod as opposed to a tripod because I can get closer to the glass for macro pictures.

I agree with the above two posts, make sure you turn off all lights except the tank (including light from windows - which you should close blinds, not turn off...I appreciate the sun and would like it to remain in the on position) and try different angles to find the best way to use the light.

Yep, the flash only causes problems for me (reflection off of the glass, washed-out color in the photos). If your tank lights aren't bright enough to illuminate things you might consider temporarily adding some more light above your tank (just for the photo shoot) like Takashi Amano does. Also, I've found that setting your camera to the fastest ISO setting (if it has that adjustment) helps when taking photos of fish. And if it has a three-shot burst feature, that works great as well. The fish never stop moving so getting a series of three shots gives you more to choose from :)

i use no-flash to take pics of my whole tank (ala from a few feet back).

I use no-flash on fish that are sitting still (ie: no movement) due to the slow aperature speed.

My best pictures tend to come by using the flash (ie: lighting looks more natural and the fish are captured better when moving or slightly moving). I personally try to get as close to the tank as possible to avoid any reflection from the flash. Different angles will help avoid the flash reflection as well.

Unfortunately for me, my loaches all come near (ie: get in the way) as soon as I get the flash going ... and my redtail shark just runs for cover.

Back
Top Bottom