Picking out fish for new 55gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DetroitRockCity

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am starting a new 55gal freshwater tank. I'm thinking about getting a school of bleeding heart tetras, 2 dwarf gouramis, pleco, and a snail to start. Does anyone have any suggestions about other fish that would go well with those I've already listed. I am also going to give the Bio-Spira a try on this tank, any pointers there would be greatly appreciated.

How about a shoal of cory cats, there are alot of different types to choos from, they are very active, easy to care for, and will clean up uneated food in your tank. Maybe a pleco aswell. Possibilities are endless. Lots of fish that could go with them!

You could also get another school of tetras. Any others that you like? I really like lemon tetras and think they would be a nice contrast to the bleeding hearts. They are really pretty when they color up and are very social fish that establish their own little hierarchy. I've heard its fun to watch. If I had room for them I'd get some.

The cories are a good idea also. You have room for 8-10 cories.

If possible I'd either get 1 dwarf gourami or 4. Even in a tank as big as a 55g, they may fight until one dies. Or if you can find females, get 1 male and 2 or more females.

Make sure you get one of the smaller plecos and not a common.

Good luck!

Yes, commons can grow to 18 inches. As a 55 gallon is only 13 inches wide (I believe), so you can see how that would be too small for such a large fish. A bristlenose or rubberlip pleco would stay plenty small enough for your tank, and there are other smaller species to pick from as well. I like the suggestion for lemon tetras, as well as pristella (or gold pristella), glowlight, neon, cardinal, etc. You have a lot of choices for tetras that you could keep. IMO you should google it, choose a species that you like, and if you need help then check back here for advice. One thing about BioSpira: I've never used it myself, but heard reports that it doesn't always work. Have you considered a fishless cycle? Or do you know anyone with a healthy, established tank from which you could borrow filter media or gravel to seed your biofilter?

hey trav! :) i like the idea of the tetras. i also agree with justonemore20 on the gouramis. have heard they can be a handful sometimes. are you still planning on putting some silver dollars in there at some point? they would go well with tetras. and yeah, make sure to get a dwarf pleco, or that your lfs will take back the other when it gets too big.

We were going to do some silver dollars but were told they can get up to 12" Wasn't sure if the tank would suit fish that big well or not.

We were going to do some silver dollars but were told they can get up to 12" Wasn't sure if the tank would suit fish that big well or not.

I'm voting not....once full grown it will reach the both sides of the tank (front to back) at the same time.You have a good sized tank and I can see how this can be a little frustrating,but let me explain.....
The problem isn't your tank so much as it is the fish stores.They sell lots of fish and they kinda look the same in size...usually the biggest ones are no more than a few inches.While shopping its difficult imagine how big some will get.

After you have been in the hobby for a while you will find yourself stopping in new stores in different towns you happen to be in as time allows (at least i do).In doing so I have found a few common plecos over a foot.I have also seen goldfish that would be considered "keepers" if I were fishing.Once you see em at or near full grown you really start to get it.

Will a common pleco live in there?Yup.Silverdollars too....but the end product will be a tank of big unhappy (perhaps unhealthy) fish.No fun in that....and if there is no fun then there is no point.

I've never used it myself, but heard reports that it doesn't always work. Have you considered a fishless cycle? Or do you know anyone with a healthy, established tank from which you could borrow filter media or gravel to seed your biofilter?
These are excellent questions.Its bacteria that "cycles" the tank...filter media from and established healthy tank is great for a quick cycle and cheaper the biospira.The product (bacteria in a bottle) is indeed hit or miss.Works great for some and not at all for others.This product needs to stay cold,so never buy it warm.....and be prepared to keep it cool on the ride home.Its probably the temp thing that has it failing sometimes because it got hot somewhere along the way.

I will applaud you to wrap this post up.You are well on your way to being a fine fish "keeper"...not just a fish haver.You have found the right forums to get you on the right path and are asking the right questions before you blunder.In the end you and your fish population will be glad you put the effort in....I promise.

Back
Top Bottom