Pics of my newly cycled tank! And some questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone know about red eye tetras? When I researched them, they're supposed to be mid level swimmers. So far, they're cave dwellers, lol. I think it's because the danios are so active they're a little spooked. Hopefully in time they'll get out and about a little more.

Anyone know about red eye tetras? When I researched them, they're supposed to be mid level swimmers. So far, they're cave dwellers, lol. I think it's because the danios are so active they're a little spooked. Hopefully in time they'll get out and about a little more.

How many do you have? Most tetra seem to be pretty skiddish so the danios are probably scaring them. The larger their school is the braver they become.

I figured they just need some time to adjust. They haven't even been in there 24 hours. They sure came out at feeding time though!

Anyone know if there's a such thing as over-aerating the water? I've still got 2 large airstones cranking out bubbles and I think it's creating a reasonably strong current which may be part of why all the little ones are staying at the bottom.

eco how big are the bubbles you say cranking so by that i take it their coming out fast

you might want to get a micro bubble air stone for your little ones just a thought mate as it might scare them off

as a rule all fish like to play in bubble when thier young

Yeah, they're pretty small bubbles from 2 air stones, but I turned them down. The danios love riding them up to the top, but the tiny tetras might have been a bit freaked out by it. I tuned them down a bit.

lol mate you just might have to turn them down some more for a while till your tiny tetras get use to them

that will get use to them and then the fun starts watching them

Hi Eco, did any danios go to infinity and beyond?

Deckape said:
Hi Eco, did any danios go to infinity and beyond?

All present and accounted for...so far. If my darn tetras don't come out of the bushes soon though, I'm gonna have a much less planted tank. Thank god we got the danios or you wouldn't even know anything was in there half the time.

Cool, I turned down my air too. Thanks for asking that question. The danios are schooling tighter.

Yeah it's weird. Since I turned them down the danios are actually hanging out with the 2 types of tetras. Before they were just doing their own thing at the top of the tank. They were messing with the bubbles a lot...maybe trying to turn them of, lol.

eco23 said:
Alrighty! Here's the pics-

1st- New light set flush on glass hood (both lights on)

2nd- Only the Coral Sun light on. Blue tint looks awesome in low light

3rd- Light set suspended. I guess it looks cool, but scares me to death
having electronics hanging over a tank of water!

To really see the difference, scroll up to the top of the thread and see the pics I posted first.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the light cost you and who makes it?

It is...like, Zoo Med or something. It's really cool because there's 2 individual T-5 tubes that you can control independently. I put in 1 Coral Sun (bluish, violet tint) and an Ultra Sun to light it up with some white. I probably dropped about $160 on them total. The brand jumps in price like crazy the longer they are. One note though if you get them...the box says it takes a 36'' bulb, but it actually took a 34''. I probably should have dropped the money to upgrade to a Fluval filter, but the lights are awesome.

Back
Top Bottom