Pike cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone here have experience with pike cichlids. Are they too aggressive to put with other SA/CA big cichlids?

It depends on what pikes your taking about, there's dwarfs and then there's the big boys reaching up to 24". They're are predators so tanksize plays a greater role than tankmates to a certain extent.

I assume that you are referring to the med to large type and not the small? Either way I wouldn't mix them with any other species, especially if they look similar. I would do a species only tank with LOTS of good hiding spots (I would recommend PVC) and keep a hospital tank ready just in case. Good tight lids are a must, this fish is fast and can exit the water very quickly.
The larger Pikes can get really big at 20" +. Mediums around 8" or so.
They will team up and eliminate the week. A friend of mine tried for 2 years to get a mated pair in a 150 and all he could do was scoop out the bodies till the last couple was standing. He finally had success. But even then without the hiding spots the male would have killed the female if she had no where to go.
They are just as predatory if not more so than Jaguars.

But a very cool and interesting fish.

I had 2 pikes and 3 wolfs, the wolfs were smaller and for the most part everyone got along well (this in a 125g tank), sadly while gone for a few days they came down with ich and the roomies had no idea what to do and I lost them.

I haven't researched a whole lot, but I was thinking something smaller than 10 inches. Based on what I've heard so far, they sound extremely aggressive. What fish would recommend housing them with? Assuming a big tank with hiding spots.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom